none
Primary DHCP failed, how to remove and make another

Question

• I had 2 Windows Server 2012 R2 servers acting in concert as DHCP hosts, as per recommendations, however my Primary DHCP server died (not quite bursting into flames, but close), so the secondary is picking up the slack, but sometimes clients seem to be unable to get an ip address, and I'm thinking the half empty failover may be to blame.

How do I forcibly remove the, now defunct, former primary, promote the current secondary (and only) to primary and then add another failover host so I have two again?  Can this be done without massive disruption to my network?

Friday, June 29, 2018 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience, you could deconfigure (remove) the failover relationship from a scope, right-click the scope and select Deconfigure failover as the following figure.

It does not matter on which server you first created the scope, the server from where you run the Deconfigure Failover wizard, will keep the scope, while it will be deleted on the partner server. Then configure a new failover with an active DHCP server.

For more information about this topic, we can refer to the following link,

http://shabaztech.com/implementing-dhcp-failover-windows-server-2012-r2/

The second method, we can remove DHCP failover partner forcibly via commands as the following article.

Remove-DhcpServerv4Failover -ComputerName dhcpserver.bauzas.com -Name SFO-SIN-Failover -Force

https://kx.cloudingenium.com/microsoft/servers/windows-servers/delete-dhcp-failover-relationship-partner-server-unreachable/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope above information can help you.  

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 2, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Sunday, July 8, 2018 8:54 AM