AppV Global data directory location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I use App-V Client 4.5 on XenApp env.

Server C drive is very large usage, and check where to use.

I found App-V Global Data directory is to large.

I want to change Global data directory to other drive.

I have a question.

Can I place Global Data Directory on NAS Storage?

and more.

How to change not effect user use?

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:41 AM

Answers

• Let's start with that. App-V Client 4.5 is quite old and not supported any longer.

You should consider upgrading the client to 4.6 SP3

Warning: The following process requires a reboot 

In the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\AppFS key, there are two values, FileName and GlobalFileSystemStorage. They point to C: and would have to be reconfigured to [other drive].

You also should set the State to 0

After that has been changed, you have to reboot the XenApp Server. 
    This should force the App-V client to create a new folder on [other drive]. 

It is important to note that this process deletes/flushes the App-V cahce file, so all of the applications have to be re-cached.

You also may need to re-publish all applications. So it appears to be save to delete all packages first and re-add them afterwards.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by Hironori_T Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:35 AM
  • Check out this article on how to set up the read only cache on a remote location:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg507632.aspx

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:17 AM

All replies

• Let's start with that. App-V Client 4.5 is quite old and not supported any longer.

You should consider upgrading the client to 4.6 SP3

Warning: The following process requires a reboot 

In the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\AppFS key, there are two values, FileName and GlobalFileSystemStorage. They point to C: and would have to be reconfigured to [other drive].

You also should set the State to 0

After that has been changed, you have to reboot the XenApp Server. 
    This should force the App-V client to create a new folder on [other drive]. 

It is important to note that this process deletes/flushes the App-V cahce file, so all of the applications have to be re-cached.

You also may need to re-publish all applications. So it appears to be save to delete all packages first and re-add them afterwards.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:35 AM
  • Check out this article on how to set up the read only cache on a remote location:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg507632.aspx

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I mistook that We use AppV Client version 4.6 SP2.

So App-V support Global Data Directory in NAS, inst' it?

and more question!

I will try to consider that migrate to NAS,

Do I need to copy from current cache file to NAS?

Thx

Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:22 AM
  • Hi all

My XenApp environment released last year. And publish AppV application.

So C drive is very large that usage  AppV Global Data Directry

Global Data Directory has many .pkg and .tmp file.

Could you tell me how to move App-V Global Data Director in runnning Server?

I will try to move all file to new drive and change global data Directory in AppV Client property.

Is it correct?

Thank you.

Monday, December 15, 2014 11:54 AM
  • You may refer to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bfefcff3-36bd-45b0-8038-27516fce5bc0/appv-global-data-directory-location?forum=mdopappv that covers parts of your questions.

When there are no users connected, you may delete the .tmp files.

Mostly you also can delet the global .pkg files, but occassionally users may complain about 'reverted' configurations. 

Anyway most of the actions require that no users use the App-V applications, some actions even require a reboot.

Falko

Monday, December 15, 2014 4:00 PM