What would cause emails to be auto-categorized? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a shared mailbox with users complaining that emails are being auto-categorized.   My initial thoughts are someone has quick click set and is accidentally clicking that column to mark an email under a category.

The mailbox does not have any rules set up either and from what I know, audit logging will not capture someone categorizing an email.  

Any ideas?

Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:12 PM

All replies

• Have you checked with the sender of the email already whether or not it was sent with a Category?

Otherwise;

• Is it always the same Category or a random one?
    • Does the Category exist within the shared mailbox itself?
    • If it is a custom Category, check who has this Category within their mailbox.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:51 PM
  • The category exists within the shared mailbox and is custom in that each color has a name assigned to it.  It seems to be consistently selecting the same category.
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:56 PM
  • Hi David,

Are all emails in the shared mailbox affected by this issue? If only certain emails are affected, were these emails sent from the same sender?

Besides, according to this Microsoft KB article:

The list of color categories in a mailbox is stored in a hidden message in the Calendar folder of a mailbox. Therefore, if you are working in any shared folder of another user’s mailbox, you must have at least Reviewer permissions to the other user's Calendar folder to view and apply the other user's categories, and Owner permissions to create new categories, or delete existing categories for any shared folder in the other user’s mailbox.

You may try removing the permissions on the calendar of the shared mailbox and then see whether this issue happens again.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, June 3, 2019 1:42 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2019 4:58 AM
  • Dear David,

Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that we can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let us know and we will be happy to help.

Best regards,
    Steve Fan 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 3, 2019 1:42 AM
  • Still trying to figure it out.  I'm not sure what the cause of this is. 
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 2:02 AM
  • I'm afraid it could be hard to find the root cause as categorizing a message action is not logged in any logs as far as I know. 

What if we delete the specific color category and create a new one to replace it?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 9:30 AM