Hyper-V for dummies - RAM - How much per VM is ideal? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a DELL R910 with 512GB of RAM, how much RAM should i allocate to each Hyper-V VM.

The VM's seem to run a lot slower than a physical server, is that normal?

Thanks!

Monday, March 12, 2018 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi gsxrian.

The amount of RAM allocated to each VM can vary according to the operating system installed within each VM, as well as the programs installed and the role (e.g.: application server, database server) each virtualized machine is going to play.
    Remember that each VM does not have exclusive access to the underlying hardware, therefore it can ben normal to see it running (even slightly) slower than a physical machine.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:09 PM
  • How much VM RAM for a web server running SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2016 is ideal? 

How much VM RAM for an Email server running Exchange 2016 on Windows Server 2016 is ideal? 

I have 512 GB of RAM to play with.

Thanks! 

Monday, March 12, 2018 9:26 PM
  • How much VM RAM for a web server running SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2016 is ideal? 

How much VM RAM for an Email server running Exchange 2016 on Windows Server 2016 is ideal? 

I have 512 GB of RAM to play with.

Thanks! 

You could basically follow the guidelines reported in the Microsoft documentation for each of the aforementioned software: for the OS, I'd always recommend to not provision less then 8 GB of RAM (this will increase according to the roles and features installed, as well as the number of users to be served).
    The amount of RAM for SQL Server and Exchange Server should be calibrated according to the installed roles: in any case, I'd suggest at least 16 GB of memory for SQL Server and the same amount for Exchange Server; always monitor your systems to fine tune the configuration, of course.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:02 AM