none
Group Policy screensaver

Question

• Hi,

I would like to apply screensaver via group policy . I have the file in PowerPoint. Which format will support? How to convert PPT file into scr format.

Thanks in Advance.

RamaiahC

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:09 PM

All replies

• HI Rahman,

"Desktop Wallpaper" Group Policy setting 
    To apply a "Desktop Wallpaper" Group Policy setting, follow these steps: 
    1. Open the Group Policy Management Console. 
    2. In the Group Policy Management Console, locate the Group Policy Objects folder, and then select the Group Policy object (GPO) that you have created for the domain users. 
    Note If you have not created a GPO for the domain users, right-click Group Policy Objects, and then click New to create a GPO for the domain users. 
    3. Right-click the GPO that you have created for the domain users, and then click Edit to open the GPO. 
    4. Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Desktop, and then click Desktop. 
    5. In the details pane, double-click Desktop Wallpaper. 

Current path to the wallpaper file is \\Shares\COMMON\Images\Wallpaper\Background.bmp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Regards,
    Surendar S

if this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

There is no unique file format for screensavers under the Microsoft Windows operating system. Rather, screen savers are simply executable files that have had their extension renamed from .EXE to .SCR so that Windows recognizes them as screensavers.

Regarding your requirement, you may refer to the following article:

How Use PowerPoint As a Screen Saver and Streamline Office Communication

http://www.presentationpoint.com/blog/use-powerpoint-presentation-as-screensaver/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply. Its working for my PC. I would like to apply for all PC via group policy.

Please guide how to implement this?

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Thank you surendar for quick response. I am asking about screensaver not desktop wall paper. I have already applied wall paper

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

Once you have the .scr file, you'll need to deploy it to the %systemroot%\system32 directory of all applicable computers. Then use the appropriate group policy to apply it. This is the policy for Server 2012 R2:

Under User Configuration > Policies > Admin Templates > Control Panel > Personalization there is an option for Force Specific Screensaver. In the field you need to type the name of your .scr executable of your screensaver.

Note: You can't place the screensaver on a network share. It has to be on the local computer.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, February 02, 2017 8:07 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. Your information was helpful,But i don't know how to create .scr file?

is the any tool to convert into .scr format?

Regards,

RamaiahC

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 10:46 AM
  • m 08.02.2017 um 11:46 schrieb ITRAMAIAH:
    > [...] But i don't know how to create .scr file?

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

Privacy and Telemetry on Windows 10 - gp-pack PaT

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am afraid to tell that there is no such an official tool to convert the format. You may use any of the converter tools available on the u=internet to complete this task.

Note: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, February 09, 2017 2:38 AM