none
Using tab to navigate RRS feed

• Question

• I remember a previous supervisor using this shortcut but I can't remember.  For pages that are visited frequently for purposes of data entry (for example, PeopleSoft and Kronos), I know that it is possible to navigate through fields on a webpage using tab.  That can become cumbersome, so I remember my previous supervisor setting her tab key to skip certain fields on certain pages so she could navigate through the page and perform data entry more quickly using her keyboard only.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

see Help>Internet Explorer Help.

Tab to tab to the next field. Shift+tab to tab back a field. Process flow is left to right, top to bottom or right to left, top to bottom for rtl languages.

Web designers need to specify the tabindex of fields to over-ride the default process flow or to 'skip' fields.

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Help>Online Support menu from IE). Include with your questions links to any websites that you may have issues with.

This forum is for System administrators and IT Pros who manage 100's of computers on domain networks using IEAK and GPO.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:43 AM
  • setting her tab key to skip certain fields on certain pages so she could navigate through the page and perform data entry more quickly using her keyboard only.

An example would help.  My guess would be that you might not have noticed her pressing Ctrl- when she was pressing Tab?   (But then the normal use of Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab would have been overridden somehow.  If it was using a version of IE before IE11 she might have disabled use of tabbed browsing.)  Another method of changing context and keyboard focus is pressing F6 (or Shift-F6).  The order of tabbing and what it can stop at can also change if you activate Caret Browsing (e.g. press F7).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:51 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

see Help>Internet Explorer Help.

Tab to tab to the next field. Shift+tab to tab back a field. Process flow is left to right, top to bottom or right to left, top to bottom for rtl languages.

Web designers need to specify the tabindex of fields to over-ride the default process flow or to 'skip' fields.

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Help>Online Support menu from IE). Include with your questions links to any websites that you may have issues with.

This forum is for System administrators and IT Pros who manage 100's of computers on domain networks using IEAK and GPO.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:43 AM
  • setting her tab key to skip certain fields on certain pages so she could navigate through the page and perform data entry more quickly using her keyboard only.

An example would help.  My guess would be that you might not have noticed her pressing Ctrl- when she was pressing Tab?   (But then the normal use of Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab would have been overridden somehow.  If it was using a version of IE before IE11 she might have disabled use of tabbed browsing.)  Another method of changing context and keyboard focus is pressing F6 (or Shift-F6).  The order of tabbing and what it can stop at can also change if you activate Caret Browsing (e.g. press F7).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:51 PM
    Answerer