Can't access Outlook.com email account from within Outlook after upgrading to Office 365 ProPlus Version 1908 (Build 11929.20562) RRS feed

• Question

• After my Office 365 ProPlus installation was upgraded to version 1908 (Build 11929.20562) on the semi-annual channel I am no longer able to access my outlook.com email account from within Outlook.

The account fails to connect requesting my password and when I click on the option 'Require password' at the bottom of the Outlook window, I get taken to a screen as shown below.

After removing the account from Outlook and trying to re-add the account after entering the email address, the same screen is displayed.

Whilst the error message details that the program is being blocked by group policy, my device is not AD joined but AAD joined and managed through Intune. Whilst this suggests that something else is blocking Outlook, this is highly unlikely as this issue only occurred after the upgrade to version 1908 (Build 11929.20562) yesterday. It would be very coincidental if something else had changed at the same time as the Office 365 ProPlus upgrade.

Note that I can still access my email via a web browser.

Has anyone else seen anything similar or suggest what could be causing this issue?

Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:18 PM

Answers

• After further investigation it appears the registry setting causing this issue is

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\current\device\Accounts]
    "AllowMicrosoftAccountConnection"=dword:00000000

Changing this to 1 allows the email account to be added.

• Marked as answer by ajp999 Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:18 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:18 AM

All replies

• Do your colleagues which got updated to the same version experience the same issue?

Group Policies can also be set via Office 365 settings so your computer doesn't have to be AD joined for it. It could very well be that your company pushed the new version with some new settings as well so it is still best to verify with your colleagues and corporate administrator first.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Friday, January 24, 2020 7:08 AM
  • Hi ,

Does this error occur when you are running other programs related to Microsoft on your computer?
    Does the issue occur if you update outlook desktop client on other computers? 
    I find that your office version(Build 11929.20562) is not up to date, please upgrade your Outlook to the latest version and test again.

I researched a lot and found that your issue is mostly related to restrictions of your Windows. Please follow the steps below to disable "Block all consumer Microsoft account user authentication" and see if your issue can be solved:

1. Press Win + R
    2. Type "gpedit.msc", and press Enter
    3. Find the path: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft account
    4. Double Click "Block all consumer Microsoft account user authentication"
    5. Choose Disabled and select OK

Besides, antivirus software may also cause issues like yours. Please try to close the antivirus software in your computer.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 24, 2020 7:29 AM
  • @Jeff Yang7

Note that the version mentioned by ajp999 is fully up-to-date for the Semi-Annual Channel.

In a corporate environment, it is also very unlikely that this setting has been deployed as a local computer policy instead of a Group Policy. In addition, regular users typically don't have access to the local Group Policy editor either.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Friday, January 24, 2020 11:01 PM
  • Thank you Robert and Jeff for your responses - there are no local group policies set on my machine; I have local administrator rights so can access gpedit.msc to check this. In addition there is no problems with accessing the Microsoft Store.

On a separate machine I have that is not managed by Intune I have installed Office 365 ProPlus version 1908 (Build 11929.20562) and can access my outlook.com email account without issue. Therefore this appears to rule out an issue with the latest semi-annual channel release of Office 365 ProPlus.

I have had a look within the registry on my corporate machine to see if I can see under the various 'Policies' sections what policy could be blocking access to outlook.com from my machine but there is nothing obvious. Do Office 365 / Intune policies populate to any other locations within the registry?

Have tried to contact my corporate administrator but am still waiting for a response - whilst I can access my outlook.com email account using other methods, this isn't as efficient as being able to view multiple email accounts from within the same Outlook client side-by-side.

Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:56 AM
  • After further investigation it appears the registry setting causing this issue is

Changing this to 1 allows the email account to be added.

• Marked as answer by ajp999 Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:18 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:18 AM
  • Hi ,

I'm glad to see your issue has been fixed.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Can't access Outlook.com email account from within Outlook after upgrading to Office 365 ProPlus Version 1908 (Build 11929.20562)

Solution Summary:

1. Open Registry Editor.
    2. Go to:
    3. Set to 1

Reference Links:

No.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 8:49 AM