Which VoIP phone is best for older and new versions of OCS/Lync? RRS feed

• General discussion

• With new Support for more Telephony endpoints, what are the best options that you see and why? Polycom..Aastra..Snom?? The list is continue to grow and I know that features and pricing will be much better so what do you all feel is most important in an OCS/Lync environment and why? Also, if you have had any problems or issues in the past with any devices please share as well.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:21 PM

All replies

• It is difficult to say at this point what the 'best' devices are as it depends on what the speific scenario may be.

The new devices (Polycom/Aastra) only register with Lync Server while the legacy device (Tanjay) will work in either environment.  Snom phones were never certified for OCS and are not officially support by Microsoft; not sure what the story will be for Lync.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Yes, I don't believe there will be a clear 'winner' out of the group but I just know I've heard some things about the price and effectiveness of the tanjay and older polycom products. I am hopeful that the new Aastra phones will provide a better price level and some unique features that really take advantage of the new features in wave 14. I was really wanting to see if anyone has had any very good or very poor experiences with any phones or devices (headsets/conference phones/accessories) to share with their application. You are also correct about the certification of snom right now but many users have also had very good feedback about their line of products (desktop phones, conference phone and mobile DECT phones) working in OCS environments. They are less expensive as well for areas (lets say warehouses, cafeteria or break rooms) where you do not want to have a several hundred dollar phones or laptops to use other products. The list for supported devices will continue to grow and that is when we will see some very competitive business start to grow.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Thus far I am extremely satisfied with Aastra 6725ip and 6721ip (haven’t had chance to test Polycom Aries line yet.) Very nice, “European” design and extremely clear voice quality. I am sure Aastra will be a valuable addition to the family.

While Tanjay will work (after firmware upgrade) with Lync, there are some limitations which Polycom cannot/will not  overcome because of the hardware limitations. What I’ve heard, Aries (the code name of Lync devices) will be shipped with 1GB internal memory, while Tanjay have only 200MB. No caller’s picture on Tanjay's display...

Snom... As usual, it works (we have Lync RC in Production as part of TAP/RDP, and we have been Snom shop since April 2009) and I certanly hope that soon or later we will see some form of colaboration between Microsoft and Snom in order to offer VERY cheap (even thow with very limited functionality) certified enpoint.

Drago

http://ocsdude.blogspot.com | MVP Snom OCS Edition
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:11 AM
  • Drago, in Berlin last week at the snom offices I heard about your application at the military college. I am very happy that you have a good understanding and great knowledge about using these products. I am also glad to hear that you are using a variety of products and I want to let you know that I represent ABP Technology who distributes all of the phones you mentioned and was actually the first distributor to introduce snom in the US many years ago. We probably have the strongest relationship with them. If you have any new applications or projects and need any help with phones or accessories (headsets, wifi access points, door access, surveillance, digital signage, IPTV) just let me know as I would be delighted to help.

Also, I may need some advice at some point in getting our OCS environment up to your level so I would really appreciate any help you can give to myself or our engineers when the time comes. Please feel free to contact me: justin@abptech.com.

Justin

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Justin,

I will get with you after Sept. 26 (leaving the country for a week).

On another note. This is technical forum...let's keep it this way, shall we? :-)

Drago

http://ocsdude.blogspot.com | MVP Snom OCS Edition
    Friday, September 17, 2010 6:17 PM