Cannot delete empty file from desktop ERROR msg........... RRS feed

• Question

• I had a video I made in a file on my dektop, moved the video or deleted it.

Now empty file will not delete, Error reads: ITEM NOT FOUND, VERIFY THE LOCATION OF THE ITEM AND TRY AGAIN : from my C drive/desktop

O/S WIN7 ULTIMATE X86

CAN ANYONE FROM MICROSOFT GIVE ME THE PROTOCOL FOR REMOVAL PLEASE?

ALSO COULD BE FILE MADE FROM CAMTASIA OR VEGAS PRO BUT ALL TRACES OF VIDEO

ARE NOW GONE, HOW TO DELETE FILE WITHOUT PROPERTIES NOW THE ISSUE.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:28 AM

Answers

• Download and install Lockhunter . Once installed, right click on the file and select "What is locking this file ". See what it tells you and if it can delete it for you, perhaps on the next boot.

Rich The only two things that are infinite in size are the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not completely sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
    • Marked as answer by BODAZAFFA Monday, November 8, 2010 6:03 AM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:30 AM
  •  

Sorry no effect at all Micro Mod

But this worked just fine!

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

I really sought out many versions of help with removing folders that were not found in my C:/ Drive and found a much simpler way, of course with the help of other postings...

Now, I don't know if it will work for everybody but it certainly worked for me. What I did was very simple.

I created a new folder (did not named it) and just dragged it over to the trouble folder.

Now this part can be very tricky because a duplicate folder may apprear. If this happens delete the old folder and keep the new one that appears.

Then create a new folder (no need to name it) and drag it over to the "New" Trouble Folder.

Then you'll notice that it will accept the un-named drop in folder and Whalla.....Now You Can Delete The Folder And No More Nightmares..!!!!

BODA...

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:03 AM
  •  

Yah well you said it not me, your way was the highway, didn't do a dam thing Einstien

but my 12 year old prodigy nephew figured it out, hmmmm?

Try this people it works fine!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I really sought out many versions of help with removing folders that were not found in my C:/ Drive and found a much simpler way, of course with the help of other postings...

Now, I don't know if it will work for everybody but it certainly worked for me. What I did was very simple.

I created a new folder (did not named it) and just dragged it over to the trouble folder.

Now this part can be very tricky because a duplicate folder may apprear. If this happens delete the old folder and keep the new one that appears.

Then create a new folder (no need to name it) and drag it over to the "New" Trouble Folder.

Then you'll notice that it will accept the un-named drop in folder and Whalla.....Now You Can Delete The Folder And No More Nightmares..!!!!

BODA.....

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Marked as answer by BODAZAFFA Monday, November 8, 2010 6:06 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 6:06 AM

All replies

• Download and install Lockhunter . Once installed, right click on the file and select "What is locking this file ". See what it tells you and if it can delete it for you, perhaps on the next boot.

Rich The only two things that are infinite in size are the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not completely sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Also see here for another way to do this: Folder won't Delete - ARGH

Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

Certain things you can try are to find out the root cause of the problem are given below.

1.    Have a look whether you can reproduce the problem in safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

2.    Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, July 2, 2010 6:51 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BODAZAFFA Monday, November 8, 2010 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:51 AM
  • thanx,

seems like the most reasonable response I will get.

I will return with the outcome.

Mahalo...

Sunday, June 20, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Lock hunter did nothing at all, couldn't even recognize that the folder was locked by a pgm.

Their Beta version needs serious help.......

BODA

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:30 PM
  •  

Sorry no effect at all Micro Mod

But this worked just fine!

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

BODA...

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:03 AM
  •  

Yah well you said it not me, your way was the highway, didn't do a dam thing Einstien

but my 12 year old prodigy nephew figured it out, hmmmm?

Try this people it works fine!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BODA.....

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Marked as answer by BODAZAFFA Monday, November 8, 2010 6:06 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Hi there, I met a similar problem (cannot delete an empty folder) . In my case, my OS is Vista Business, the folder name showed 123.  <-- Yes, the folder name showed with foot-stop at the end. I'd tried lockhunter but nothing found.

I went to command prompt & found that that folder named 123. in long file format & 123~1 in 8.3 format.  I wrote down the full path in 8.3 format then reboot system in safe mode with command prompt. After login system, it goes to command prompt without starting explorer.exe. Then I deleted that folder using its 8.3 format file name.

wish this can help.

Monday, November 15, 2010 12:06 PM