none
Home network question

Question

• First I slept at a Holiday Inn last night, I know enough to be dangerous..  I have Hyper V running Win 7 on a Win 10 machine 

With 15046 preview. It is connected to my home network and I can access another computer to do what I want. The question : 

Can I access the hard drive in the same way of the host machine? ( lets say to move files around). If so I would like to be pointed in the direction as to how to do it.

TIA

Dave

Friday, March 3, 2017 9:33 PM

All replies

• You want to access the host's hard drive from the Win 7 VM? 

There are 2 ways; first, standard old Windows file sharing will work, just like you would do if you had two physical computers; second way is to connect to your Win7VM with RDP, go to the Local Resources tab and click "More" under Local Devices and resources, and check the drive or drives on the host you want to share.

If you want to access the Win7 VM's hard drive while it's running from the Win10 host, you'll need to use standard Windows file sharing.  If you want to access the Win7 VM's hard drive (vhd or vhdx) while it's turned off, you can mount the vhd/vhdx in Windows 10 and it will appear as a drive letter. 

Friday, March 3, 2017 9:50 PM
  • Ahhh it is possible , great thanks

Dave

Friday, March 3, 2017 10:20 PM
  • Hi Dave,

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:21 AM