none
Microsoft Project Custom Field Formula RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Encountered an issue where local settings for multiple users have different date set up (ie dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yy).  This causes problems for a report that was set up.  I thought an option to overcome this problem would be to create a custom field that correctly provides the date in the correct format.  However I do not know how to write formulas.

Could someone assist in writing a formula that would return the START date in the following format dd/mm/yyy?  Would it be best to use a TEXT or DATE custom field?

Thanks in advance :)

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:18 AM

Answers

• While entering the formula, pls select "Use formula" option in "Calculation for task and group summary rows" section of Custom Fields dialog box. This option will let Project use the formula for the summary rows as well. 
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:40 AM

All replies

• I believe Format([Start],"dd/mm/yy") formula in a custom text field will do it (e.g. Text1). The custom date fields will display dates in Project's date format.
    • Edited by Ismet Kocaman Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:29 AM typo
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:28 AM
  • That was great and it worked on the task level.  It didn't pull through for the headings - is there a way to correct that?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:32 AM
  • While entering the formula, pls select "Use formula" option in "Calculation for task and group summary rows" section of Custom Fields dialog box. This option will let Project use the formula for the summary rows as well. 
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Blond moment.  Thanks for your help :)
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:48 AM
  • You're welcome.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:49 AM
  • The formula solution will work but I would have edited the report you created so that it was not dependant on a a format. have the report convert things like dates into a specific format and then do its calculations. That way it will not matter what format they have in their own settings. Having a field in there with a date format they are not used to runs the risk of confusing users.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:19 AM