Cannot dock toolbars to screen edges RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of toolbars with may favourite links and suchlike. Under Vista I kept these off the left-hand edge of my primary monitor. When I re-instated them under 7, they get docked to the lower edge (competing for space with the taskbar) and refuse to be picked up and moved.
    Feature or bug anybody?

/jeremy
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:42 PM

Answers

• This is a known issue with the taskbar.  There is no option to move or place items where you want and have them stay there.  They automatically left align.  This has been submitted to Microsoft.
    ~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 23, 2009 4:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:35 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:37 AM

All replies

• This is a known issue with the taskbar.  There is no option to move or place items where you want and have them stay there.  They automatically left align.  This has been submitted to Microsoft.
    ~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 23, 2009 4:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:35 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:37 AM
  • I have experienced the same disappointment.  We typically dock our Windows taskbar at the top, versus the bottom (more efficient application menu access), and then we dock and hide quick-access toolbars on the other three sides of the screen from the Windows taskbar.  However, we can no longer do that in Windows 7.  This is a grave handicap and severely limits the efficiency of our desktop.

Your other replies seem to refer to how toolbars align on the Windows taskbar and not on the monitor screen.  If I understand correctly, you are referring to the ability of docking toolbars on the screen.  This development is a step backwards for users who need to customize their desktop.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Hi,

first of all... sorry for my bad english
    Windows 7 has removed that capability but...
    I've found this freeware and open source software:

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevendeskbar/home/

It's able to restore old capability to dock a folder on an edge of the 
    windows desktop and require non installation!

Is an alpha release but work's great!

Best regards
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:05 PM