Question regarding migration of App-V applications RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of a Configuration Manager 2007 to 2012 migration (testing) project. In this, we are migrating Packages, both traditional Package/programs and App-V packages. As part of the migration, we also want to move the source of the packages to a new server.

When Packages/Programs are migrated, I can then go to the migrated package's properties, and change the package source to the new location (having copied the files, of course).

App-V packages from Configuration Manager 2007 get migrated to Applications in 2012, with an App-V deployment type. Now I want to change the location of the sources to my new server. However, the source location for App-V deployment types (i.e. the manifest file location) is read-only in the UI. This is normal, because of the way that App-V applications are created - by pointing at a source folder, whereupon the import copies the contents into a new location, and changes the .sft filename
    and edits the .osd files. However, this does not let me move everything into my new environment and ultimately retire the old server with the old content on it.

[Actually, the same problem exists even if not migrating. That is, once an App-V deployment type is set up, it is not poss ible to change the location of the manifest file, and hence the package files.]

Is there a way to allow the manifest location to be changed (while simultaneously moving the
    content of that location). I don't want to have to recreate all my App-V applications from the original project files, as there are hundreds of them. If not, then surely we only have half a migration solution :-S

I am looking at scripting methods for doing this, e.g. PowerShell. Even if it means creating a
    new deployment type with all the same properties as the original, but using a new path to the manifest, and then deleting the old one. But I can't see a way of doing that, either.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I normally use this great tool from Coretech :-) Can't remember now if I have ever used it with App-v applications, will try it as soon as I can.

http://blog.coretech.dk/jgs/coretech-package-source-changer/

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:42 PM
  • The coretech-package-source-changer tool I believe changes the source only for Packages which are migrated, but not Applications, which is what App-V packages become once imported. I have already got a script for changing the source of packages.
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:49 PM