moving VM to different disk on same server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Hyper V server that has 2 VM's on it and is running out of disk space. I have another disk on the same Hyper V that has plenty of space. Do I need to do an export\import onto the drive? or can I do a copy? or??

thx

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi!

Shutting down the VM, copying the vhd to the desired location, pointing out the preferred (new) vhd in the vm settings, start the VM and finally when you see that everything works, remove the old copy of the vhd file.... That is the quicker way. The only thing that might take some time is the actual vhd file copy, depending on its size.

• Edited by Mike_Andrews Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Monday, January 28, 2013 4:56 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:12 PM
  • If you intend on moving the entire VM folder, including configuration, vhd and memory files, then you should preferrably perform an export/import as this folder is registered in Hyper-V and can not be moved.

If you intend to move the vhd file only, then there is no need to export the entire VM.

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Friday, January 25, 2013 9:25 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Hi lanman_4,

I fully agree with Mike, based on your description, it seems that we just need to move the VHD files.

However, if you prefer to move the entire VM folder as Mike said, we need to export and import. Also, we can refer to this video:

Microsoft Virtual Academy: Importing a VM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/video/JJ613426

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:25 AM

All replies

• The preferred method is to export/import.  If you just copy the VHD, you will need to manually reconfigure the settings for it in the Hyper-V manager.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:12 PM
  • thanks for the reply... ok, I was just hoping there my be a quicker way seeing that the drive is on the same server..

l

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:30 PM
  • If it was Windows Server 2012 or Hyper-V Server 2012 then you could just do a Live Storage Migration.  Otherwise do as previously suggested.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Hi!

Shutting down the VM, copying the vhd to the desired location, pointing out the preferred (new) vhd in the vm settings, start the VM and finally when you see that everything works, remove the old copy of the vhd file.... That is the quicker way. The only thing that might take some time is the actual vhd file copy, depending on its size.

• Edited by Mike_Andrews Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:12 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:12 PM
  • ?? So,, there is no need for an export/import if moving the VM to a different drive on the same server..??
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:02 PM
  • If you intend on moving the entire VM folder, including configuration, vhd and memory files, then you should preferrably perform an export/import as this folder is registered in Hyper-V and can not be moved.

If you intend to move the vhd file only, then there is no need to export the entire VM.

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Friday, January 25, 2013 9:25 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Hi lanman_4,

I fully agree with Mike, based on your description, it seems that we just need to move the VHD files.

However, if you prefer to move the entire VM folder as Mike said, we need to export and import. Also, we can refer to this video:

Microsoft Virtual Academy: Importing a VM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/video/JJ613426

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:25 AM