none
Using MDT for mass deployment of Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• My company has over 20,000 users and no SCCM, but want to migrate to Windows 10. I have become familiar with MDT and WDS and feel somewhat comfortable with them. Here are the challenges I hope I  can get some advice on.
    1. With that many users, how can I use MDT to capture and restore their profiles using LiteTouch? I know I can suppress the wizards in the customsettings.ini, either use psexec or have the users launch the litetouch.vbs script themselves. There is still a challenge of restoring the Userdata, especially if they receive new devices. I 
    2. I would love to have two deployment shares on the same server (one for testing, and one for Production). I tried doing it by removing the root settings in the bootstrap.ini, then creating a locationserver.xml, but when running the process, I am asked for a server, but no dropdown options, so I have to manually type the information. My intention is to try and separate the capture process from the OS deployment/userdata restore process. I thought about editing the customsettings.ini file by adding priorites and properties, but not sure what to use to trigger the difference between the two tasks. 
    Sunday, November 18, 2018 4:44 PM

All replies

• 1. MDT has the ability to migrate user data. I have not used it but its part of the default task sequences. You can google plenty of examples.

2. If you just want to separate your capture and deployment you dont need to deployment shares just make two task sequences in the same deployment share. Be sure to place them in their own folders so you can make a selection profile to display only the deploy task sequences in winpe so the capture is only available from the desktop.

Monday, November 19, 2018 6:47 PM
  • If you want to perform a mass deployment and Migration you can use the ZTI method which integrates with the SQL database to record each machine to it alongside its Task Sequence which has these steps configured

You can use the USMT package you can create within MDT to do this and attach to a Task Sequence step, though i woudl ensure this works on a few machine runs first before you attempt any mass deployment scenario

Friday, November 23, 2018 11:57 AM