none
Network connection becomes disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello group,

This is the scenario: At a given moment, the LAN connection of 1 or 2 PC's of our small network (5 machines), becomes disabled (LAN icon turns grey and dissapears from the icon tray besides the clock).

The Shared Computer Service also comes down (it make sense as there is no LAN).
    You can go to the Network Conections and Enable it back, but it generates a call and you have to visit the client to fix this.

My ideas:
    - I tought is was a virus attacking the shared folder, but scanning all machines turned zero virus.
    - Can this be faulty LAN cables and Connectors. I will replace the LAN switch and cables and will let you know what I found
    - the IP addresses are unique. Submask is 255.255.255.0

The NETSTAT.EXE utility sure would come in handy to check the ongoing traffic.

Please let me know if you think of something else. This happens on WEPOS.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:07 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay, you're problem is pretty tricky to repro and we're stuck so far. 

I don't think netstat will help as it's more for IP addresses and tcp ports, and I can't suggest getting it from another machine due to license restrictions. Tools from sysinternals.com (a Microsoft site) may be more appropriate and I believe is license acceptable.

Is it possible that it's a driver problem?  Is there anything in the event log that might give a clue as to what's going on?  Are there identical machines with/without the same problems?  Does IPConfig have proper IP addresses or is it using the failover 169 address (255.255.0.0 mask)?

Don't know if this will help, but please let the board know what you find.  We'd be happy to help and to hear what helps or doesn't.

Brendan

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:53 PM

All replies

• Sorry for the delay, you're problem is pretty tricky to repro and we're stuck so far. 

I don't think netstat will help as it's more for IP addresses and tcp ports, and I can't suggest getting it from another machine due to license restrictions. Tools from sysinternals.com (a Microsoft site) may be more appropriate and I believe is license acceptable.

Is it possible that it's a driver problem?  Is there anything in the event log that might give a clue as to what's going on?  Are there identical machines with/without the same problems?  Does IPConfig have proper IP addresses or is it using the failover 169 address (255.255.0.0 mask)?

Don't know if this will help, but please let the board know what you find.  We'd be happy to help and to hear what helps or doesn't.

Brendan

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:53 PM
  • Thanks Brendan,

IP address and mask are OK, as connections works fine when the card is enabled and operating normally.

I totally forgot about Sysinternals, thanks for the tool reminder.

I took another look in the Event Viewer and found some Tcpip items. On one of them it mentioned that possible the card needs updated drivers, and it matched (at least today) when we received the call that the system was having lan issues.

I will install a new card tomorrow and disable the integrated one from the BIOS. Give me a week to see what happens, and I will get back to the forum

Humberto Sequeira
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Hello folks,

I did this instead. In the Energy Conservation (administration) for the LAN Card I un-checked the "Allow the system to turn off this device in order to conserve energy" (or something along those lines, my system MUI is in spanish).

This has done the trick for over 10 days. Thanks and good luck.

Humberto Sequeira
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:53 AM