none
Multiple Predecessor RRS feed

• Question

•  Good day;

I have tow tasks, the second (soaking) one having a (FS) relation with the first task (sorting and washing).

now the second task having a duration of 14 hours (it is a chickpeas soaking) suppose i want to make it 5 h instead of 14 h, is there any way to make the first task move forward towards the morning starting shift hour which is 8 am-must start on,constraint- while respecting the (FS) relation?

i captured a photo of the same:

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 5:05 AM

Answers

• houma80,

That makes more sense. It would have been nice to have the full scenario from the start, would have saved us both some time.

There is no way to have Project automatically move the first task start time forward based on the duration of the successor task. However it is possible to have a task to always start at the beginning of a workday, (or on a particular day). That's a common scenario that has been asked many times on the forum and can be accomplished either with a custom calendar on a milestone that starts the task, or with a VBA macro. This type of scenario is typical of a process that must be completed in a single day or can only be started on a specific day of the week or month. Is that what you want?

John

Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:06 PM

All replies

• houma80,

Sure, just move the start time of the first task as needed. As long as there is no constraint on the start of the second task (i.e. must be "as-soon-as-possible"), it will move back based on the finish-to-start relationship. The duration of the second task has nothing to do with the relationship between the two tasks.

Initial setup:

Change soak period duration:

Move start of first task back to start of shift (remove constraint):

What I don't understand is why you have an 8:00 AM "must-start-on" constraint. First, hard constraints are bad practice. Second, assuming you are using the Standard calendar, 8:00 AM is by default, the start time of a task (assuming it does not have a predecessor).

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 3:48 PM
  • Hi John;

Thanks for your reply;

actually this is not what i'm looking for.

I'm using the Ms Project to do a production plan, where the batch mixing should start at 8:00 am in order to finish production volume at the end of the shift which is at 5:00 pm.

so what I am looking for is an automatic relation -if possible- which will move the soaking and washing time forward towards the 8:00 am when we shorten the soaking time.

i managed to make it when the  as following the washing will be (2 FS - 1 hour) with the soaking (Task 2) so when i shorten the soaking time the washing follow the relation but then it will not tell me the starting hour of the soaking traumatically, sure i can make manually and know the starting time of soaking but I'm just wondering if such a scenario is possible by MS project automatically.  

I tried to attached a picture, but the site didn't allow me to do so?!

Hoping i managed to explain the situation properly, and thanks in advance for your reply.

Best Regards;

• Edited by houma80 Thursday, December 26, 2019 5:27 AM
    Thursday, December 26, 2019 5:25 AM
  • houma80,

That makes more sense. It would have been nice to have the full scenario from the start, would have saved us both some time.

There is no way to have Project automatically move the first task start time forward based on the duration of the successor task. However it is possible to have a task to always start at the beginning of a workday, (or on a particular day). That's a common scenario that has been asked many times on the forum and can be accomplished either with a custom calendar on a milestone that starts the task, or with a VBA macro. This type of scenario is typical of a process that must be completed in a single day or can only be started on a specific day of the week or month. Is that what you want?

John

Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:06 PM
  • Hi John;

Yes i was looking for the first part of the answer appreciated.

Thanks;

Sunday, December 29, 2019 4:35 AM
  • houma80,

What exactly do you mean by "the first part of the answer"?

Did I answer your original question or not?

John

Sunday, December 29, 2019 4:10 PM
  • Yes You Did Thanks
    Thursday, January 2, 2020 9:38 AM
  • houma80,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, January 2, 2020 3:35 PM