SCCM 2012 SP1 Bug? In the "Add Site System Wizard" the AD FQDN is "invalid" if any segment contains more than 15 characters. RRS feed

• Question

• See the image below - I think it's self-explanatory.

This wasn't an issue before SP1 - but I'm just trying to rebuild our PXE build DP after installing SP1 and now it won't accept our domain/forest FQDN in the wizard. Anybody else seen this?

Both the forest and domain boxes respond in the same way. Should I raise a call with CSS?

Obviously I'm in a rush to get this fixed. Can a powershall script do the same job (including configuring WDS on the DP?)

Also, is the AD forest/domain essential now, or can it be configured later? The wizard continues if this is left blank.

This problem also show itself on the "Site System" properties page.

Neil Rawlinson

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:38 AM

Answers

• This happens only for FQDN where one part is longer than 15 chars.

But there is a workaround:

fill in something else you can easily find, do your work (like installing additional roles)

connect to SQL database
    you will find the previously entered strings in two tables: 

SC_SysResUse_Property
    SysResList

change them back to the correct values and restart the SCCM server.

You're done.

• Proposed as answer by fastBONE Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:36 PM
    • Edited by fastBONE Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by NeilRawlinson Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by NeilRawlinson Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert Marshall - MVPMVP Friday, February 8, 2013 5:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:36 PM
  • That is true, but there is still no hotfix that i know of. And afaik nothing else than those entries in SQL are affected.

Microsoft will not be able to create a fix if this issue is not reported to CSS. So please make sure to call CSS.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:33 PM
  • CSS confirm it's a bug and suggest that the best thing to do is to leave those boxes blank rather than the SQL hack above.

Most likely to be resolved in a future cumulative update.

Neil Rawlinson

• Marked as answer by NeilRawlinson Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:24 PM

All replies

• This happens only for FQDN where one part is longer than 15 chars.

But there is a workaround:

fill in something else you can easily find, do your work (like installing additional roles)

connect to SQL database
    you will find the previously entered strings in two tables: 

SC_SysResUse_Property
    SysResList

change them back to the correct values and restart the SCCM server.

You're done.

• Proposed as answer by fastBONE Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:36 PM
    • Edited by fastBONE Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by NeilRawlinson Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by NeilRawlinson Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert Marshall - MVPMVP Friday, February 8, 2013 5:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Neil Rawlinson

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:11 PM
  • But there is a workaround:

Just a note: this is absolutley unsupported!

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:27 PM

• Just a note: this is absolutley unsupported!

That is true, but there is still no hotfix that i know of. And afaik nothing else than those entries in SQL are affected.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:23 PM
  • That is true, but there is still no hotfix that i know of. And afaik nothing else than those entries in SQL are affected.

Microsoft will not be able to create a fix if this issue is not reported to CSS. So please make sure to call CSS.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:33 PM
  • It is reported!
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:56 PM
  • I'll report as well - thanks for joining in Torsten. It doesn't appear to cause me any issues as yet leaving it blank.

Neil Rawlinson

Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:33 PM
  • In view of this, I've unmarked fastBone's workaround as the answer. I'm sure his solution would work, but don't want to contribute to thousands of unsupported environments

Neil Rawlinson

Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Agree that you'll have to work around this if you encounter, at least until CSS can feed it through to the PG and it appears in a future release. Nice work fastBONE.

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

Friday, February 8, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Hi fastBONE - any joy from CSS yet?

My case just had a comment suggesting that the investigation is trying to determine if this issue is "by design"...I'm really not sure about that. I'll have to keep an eye out to see whether other products follow suit and restrict FQDNs to this 15-char segment as well as the 64-char length.

My guess is it's a developer who's got a bit mixed up, that's all, and a testing domain with less than 16 characters in it's FQDN.

I'm hoping it's an easy/quick fix - it's surely just some over-enthusiastic validation code in the console that needs removing I guess, and then a break fix update release.

Neil Rawlinson

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:01 PM
  • CSS confirm it's a bug and suggest that the best thing to do is to leave those boxes blank rather than the SQL hack above.

Most likely to be resolved in a future cumulative update.

Neil Rawlinson

• Marked as answer by NeilRawlinson Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:24 PM