none
Any Update on ADMT Support for Windows 10?

Question

• Hello - I need to perform a cross-forest migration for the organization that I work for, but have encountered a potentially show-stopper issue related to the current version of the Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT), v3.2, as documented in Microsoft Article ID 3145204.

Basically, the Security Translation feature of ADMT is supposed to allow the conversion of user profiles on a local computer from the original source domain to the target domain.  However, as documented in the above-referenced KB article, the tool does not work correctly on workstations running Windows 10.  After running the security translation on a Windows 10 workstation, the Start menu will not open, the Settings application does not start, and no built-in or Store (aka Modern) apps will open.

Has anyone found a work-around or an alternative for this, or might anyone have an inside line on if or when Microsoft might update ADMT to properly support Windows 10?  (Might be nice if your tools supported your flagship operating system, Microsoft; jus' sayin'...)

I supposed that if I had to, I could use the USMT to back up workstation profiles, have the users log onto their workstations under their new domain accounts (thereby creating a fresh profile) and then restore data via USMT, but that's a lot more work, and probably won't preserve all of the customizations that the users have established on their workstations.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hello - that's the article that I referenced in my original post, so I'm already aware of that, but the work-arounds listed within it aren't really feasible (we have workstations that are already on Windows 10.)  However, I've found a third-party tool called User Profile Wizard from Forensit that does appear to migrate profiles on Windows 10 systems properly, so I will likely end up using that.
    • Marked as answer by Craig Power Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Craig Power,

This is a known issue, please check the following link and try the workaround.
    Windows App cannot start after ADMT 3.2 security translation runs in Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3145204/windows-app-cannot-start-after-admt-3.2-security-translation-runs-in-windows-8,-windows-8.1-and-windows-10

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:48 AM
  • Hello - that's the article that I referenced in my original post, so I'm already aware of that, but the work-arounds listed within it aren't really feasible (we have workstations that are already on Windows 10.)  However, I've found a third-party tool called User Profile Wizard from Forensit that does appear to migrate profiles on Windows 10 systems properly, so I will likely end up using that.
    • Marked as answer by Craig Power Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Hey Craig,

I'm in the same situation here.

So strange and frustrating that Microsoft does not do anything about it!...

Did you finally try using Forensit tool?

Did it work for you?

Andre Dube https://www.andredube.com

• Edited by Andre Dube Sunday, February 18, 2018 5:56 PM
    Friday, November 3, 2017 11:48 AM
  • Hi 

For your information, Microsoft has published a new ADMT version (2/9/2018) : 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=56570

This tool is now full comptability with Windows 2016 and Windows 10 (in the previous version some bugs with security translation was detected)

Regards

Sunday, February 18, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Hi Olivier, and thanks for the info.

I had a look at it, and unfortunately, it is the same old version... :o(

It seems that Microsoft does not care at all about giving us new migration tools...

Cheers!

Andre Dube

Andre Dube https://www.andredube.com

• Edited by Andre Dube Monday, May 7, 2018 12:48 PM
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 5:51 PM
  • Same here... are there any details of detecting the new vs. old version numbers or a readme or anything?

Thx.

Friday, March 16, 2018 12:35 AM