How to let a new word 2010 installation sync with customization file ( on the cloud ) ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a pretty complex situation, so here goes :

I have customized my ribbon/quick access toolbar and made a list of customized shortcuts for word, excel, ppt 2010. then, i exported the customization file to make a backup.

Now my question is : is there any way to let a fresh office installation detect a customization file from a specified directory and auto-sync my list in there?

if not, is there any way which I can integrate the list from all 3 programs into 1 master list? ( so that i don't need to do it individually for word,ppt,excel.. )

thanks!

Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To export your ribbon customizations, click Import/Export at the bottom of the window and then select Export All Ribbon And Quick Access Toolbar Customizations. Navigate to a place on your hard drive or network, type in a name for your customizations file and click Save. The file is given a “.exportedUI” extension.

To import a ribbon customization, click the Import/Export button and select Import Customization File. Navigate to where the customization file is, select it and click Open. You will then see a confirmation prompt asking you whether you want to replace all existing ribbon and quick access toolbar customizations. Clicking No will cancel without making any changes, whereas clicking Yes will overwrite your existing ribbon configuration with the one saved in the customization file you just imported.

When you are happy with the changes you’ve made to your ribbon’s set up, click OK at the bottom of the window and the changes will be applied.

For detail, you can refer to the following link:

http://www.word-2010.com/customize-the-ribbon-in-word-2010/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it does help.

Best Regards,

Nick Wan

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:58 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To export your ribbon customizations, click Import/Export at the bottom of the window and then select Export All Ribbon And Quick Access Toolbar Customizations. Navigate to a place on your hard drive or network, type in a name for your customizations file and click Save. The file is given a “.exportedUI” extension.

To import a ribbon customization, click the Import/Export button and select Import Customization File. Navigate to where the customization file is, select it and click Open. You will then see a confirmation prompt asking you whether you want to replace all existing ribbon and quick access toolbar customizations. Clicking No will cancel without making any changes, whereas clicking Yes will overwrite your existing ribbon configuration with the one saved in the customization file you just imported.

When you are happy with the changes you’ve made to your ribbon’s set up, click OK at the bottom of the window and the changes will be applied.

For detail, you can refer to the following link:

http://www.word-2010.com/customize-the-ribbon-in-word-2010/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it does help.

Best Regards,

Nick Wan

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:58 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Hi Nick,

that doesn't answer the question. I already know how to import/export - but i want to avoid the hassle of doing it for every MS program that i use (word/ppt/excel/outlook) and looking at some cross-syncing feature if possible.

here's the question again :

is there any way to let a fresh office installation detect a customization file from a specified directory and auto-sync my list in there?

if not, is there any way which I can integrate the list from all 3 programs into 1 master list? ( so that i don't need to do it individually for word,ppt,excel.. )

Sunday, July 17, 2011 4:15 AM