none
Adjust SCSM data warehouse ETL job schedules RRS feed

• Question

• 

Hi there

I have been tasked with adjusting the ETL DW jobs to run faster. This is for reporting purposes - I have written custom reports for the Change Mgmt team - one example is outstanding approvals for review activities for changes, which makes it easier for them to chase the appropriate teams for approvals. This report is only useful if the data is fairly up to date. Currently it can take 2 horus (or more) for new work items or changes to be available for reporting. I understand the DW wasn't designed for real-time reporting but would be good to speed it up somewhat.

Would anyone advise against doing this? I'll obviously monitor performance of the DW but just wondered if there's anything I need to be cautious of...

Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2013 5:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Instead of using reports for this (and the need to modify the ETL jobs which might cause a higher workload) why not using mail notifications to "remember" the reviewers?

Anders Asp created a nice script to get this done: Mail notification: Remind Reviewers

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

The report I gave you was just one example - we have other custom reports as well, for example, one to show changes, their associated manual activities currently in progress and the implementers implementing the change. They use this report for their weekly change board meetings and want to ensure up-to-date data is on the report.

For now I have amended the job schedules and will monitor performance. We have prtety hefty SQL boxes so hopefully no issues. I also spoke with a couple of MSFT engineers about this and he didn't seem too concerned.

Cheers

Friday, February 15, 2013 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

Related to this, we have a number of dashboards reporting via SQL Reporting Services, is there any advice against dropping the Transform and Load times to say 5 minutes each? ideally we need to get the dashboards closer to realtime.

@Neile, how did you get on with your amended values to you find an optimum level?

Cheers,

Greg

Friday, May 15, 2015 2:39 PM