none
Unable to connect to the specified server in PPS

Question

• When I open the Dashboard Designer. Then I going to connect server or click the refresh button. I am getting error in the “Unable to connect to the specified server.  Make sure the address is correct.”

Then I followed this article

http://nickbarclay.blogspot.com/2007/11/pps-data-source-connection-problems.html

again I am getting same error.

Note:

Sharepoint, Database and PPS all the application in same server.

And

I check eventvwr. I got this message.

Event code: 3008

Event message: A configuration error has occurred.

Event time: 5/25/2010 6:09:03 PM

Event time (UTC): 5/25/2010 12:39:03 PM

Event ID: 3b56b2c622934b1fa555193905396222

Event sequence: 1

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/774728441/Root/WebService-14-129192647435349000

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /WebService

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService\

Machine name: DEMOBI

Process information:

Process ID: 2628

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: CIT\Bidemo

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpException

Exception message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService\web.config line 25)

Request information:

Request URL: http://DEMOBI:40000/WebService/PmService.asmx

Request path: /WebService/PmService.asmx

User host address: 192.168.60.150

User: 

Is authenticated: False

Authentication Type: 

Thread account name: CIT\Bidemo

Thread information:

Thread ID: 1

Thread account name: CIT\Bidemo

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace:    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled()

at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Anybody Idea about this. Please give me.

Thanks for advance

Ram

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hello Ram,

Another thing you can look at is the web.config file.  This issue can also be caused if the web.config located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService directory is pointing to the wrong PPS monitoring DB.

Resolution:
    1. Edit the web.config file and do a find for PPSMonitoring
    2. Change this Catalog= to the correct Database in this line: <add
    key="Bpm.MonitoringConnectionString" value="Data Source=NAYAR2008;Initial
    Catalog=PPSMonitoring;Integrated Security=True" />
    3. Make sure the web.config for SharePoint and Preview site also point to correct
    Database.
    4. Run IISreset
    5. Refresh your Dashboard and redeploy to SharePoint

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Heidi Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Ram,

Please re-install Ajax 1.0 if you have already installed and then try connecting to the server. Make sure the aoolication pools of PPS are running under a Domain account.

HTH,

Ram

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:47 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I have re-install Ajax1.0. then I changed NerworkService into Domain Account. Again same issue.

regards

Ram

Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Hi Ram,

I had faced the similar issue and i resolved by re-installing AJAX 1.0. The error messages shows its a configuration error. I would suggest you to make sure all the pre-requisites are installed and just re-configure your PPS.

HTH,

Ram

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:07 AM
  • Hello Ram,

Another thing you can look at is the web.config file.  This issue can also be caused if the web.config located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService directory is pointing to the wrong PPS monitoring DB.

Resolution:
    1. Edit the web.config file and do a find for PPSMonitoring
    2. Change this Catalog= to the correct Database in this line: <add
    key="Bpm.MonitoringConnectionString" value="Data Source=NAYAR2008;Initial
    Catalog=PPSMonitoring;Integrated Security=True" />
    3. Make sure the web.config for SharePoint and Preview site also point to correct
    Database.
    4. Run IISreset
    5. Refresh your Dashboard and redeploy to SharePoint

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Heidi Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:48 PM