none
1803 Sysprep failure about APPS RRS feed

• Question

• Yet again it's time to scour the internet for a fix for the latest and greatest version of MDT.

I used a 1703VM and upgraded it in a TS to 1803. Now, it's time to Syspre & Capture it. Sysprep fails
    with "Expected Image state is IMAGE_STATE_GENERALIZE_RESEAL_TO_OOBE, actual image state is IMAGE_STATE_COMPLETE, sysprep did not succeed."

Looking onling, I found a solution from Johan, but it implies creating a WSF file and putting it in my Deployment TS???
    I'm trying to Capture. And it fails. With the error above.
    I read someone else suggested disabling user APPS but never wrote how.
    Will someone please reply back with the fix to Sysprep & Capture a VM to create a WIM for 1803. I have upgraded MDT and ADK appropriately.

I will restate that I have a separate DS just for Sysprep & Capture and another DS for Deployments.
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:32 PM

Answers

• I guess since my VM's are built already, with a few years of incremental changes to them along the way, I will upgrade them as is and remove the apps for 1803. Then I can Capture them for Deployment.

If i have to rebuild any of them from the ground up, I will look into creaing an initial VM through MDT.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:54 PM

All replies

• You say that you upgraded a 1703VM. Did that VM ever have any user other than the built-in Administrator logon on to it? If so the user profile and the Windows Store apps that got installed when that user profile was created are probably the cause of the sysprep failure.

Dave

Dave Barker

• Edited by DaveBarker19 Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:52 PM spelling
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:47 PM
  • Thanks. For as long as I've been using MDT.....I create my VM's as a user named MSHP, full admin.
    During my Deploy, I activate the admin and add a p/w in the unattend. I've never had any issue with the user account I've made my VM's with.

If I have to strip off some apps during Sysprep & Capture (not Deploy), then I'm wondering how to do that. I found a PS someone said to use: get-appxpackage *name of app*, to see the app. That works. Then, they said to run get-appxpackage *name of app* | remove-appxpackage. That fails.

So, I continue to use 1703 until I can figure out why my Sysprep is failing with the 'expected state' as mentioned in the post.

This may just be an 1803 thing? I've run my 1607 VM's through a TS I made to upgrade to 1703 and they succeeded just fine.
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:52 PM
  • For me it was not a requirement to have internet access during my master image builds. So I added a step in the task sequence to run command line and create a firewall rule to disable internet access, then right before sysprep, I remove the firewall rule. Similar to this post:

https://syscenramblings.wordpress.com/2017/10/25/windows-10-1709-reference-image/

This article should help you understand the issue and available workarounds:

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/615/Fixing-why-Sysprep-fails-in-Windows-10-due-to-Windows-Store-updates

Regards,

Darren

Thursday, August 16, 2018 11:45 PM
  • I still don't get what I'm not asking or getting... I am doing solely a SYSPREP AND CAPTURE TS. There is no Post Install or State Restore. This is for a Sysprep and Capture ONLY TS. I cannot get my VM to Sysprep during the Sysprep & Capture TS, which captures my VM into a WIM. I must have something enabled on my VM, which is a fairly thick image. What I need to know is what apps I have to remove and what is the best method to do so.
    Friday, August 17, 2018 12:25 AM
  • On the vm that your sysprep/capturing shouldn't have internet access. If it has internet access, it will reach out to update/install Microsoft Store apps.

I had previously run into this issue, so I removed internet access from all my vm's when building the reference image and sysprep/capturing.

Sunday, August 26, 2018 10:10 PM
  • What do you mean by no internet access? How do you go about disabling that? From what I see, the apps get installed during the upgrade from 1703 to 1803 which then prevents me from doing a Sysprep & Capture.
     How do you disable internet access but still be able to communicate from the VM to Hyper-V?
    Monday, August 27, 2018 12:25 PM
  • I have a subnet dedicated to my vm's which is denied on my our external internet firewall. The subnet has full internal access for WSUS / sysprep and capturing.

Monday, August 27, 2018 11:04 PM
  • I guess since my VM's are built already, with a few years of incremental changes to them along the way, I will upgrade them as is and remove the apps for 1803. Then I can Capture them for Deployment.

If i have to rebuild any of them from the ground up, I will look into creaing an initial VM through MDT.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:54 PM