none
Setting the default font in Office 2007

Question

• I would like to set the default font for office 2007 for all my users. I do not want to set it manually on 200+ machines.

I've poured through the GPO for server 2008 and haven't found anything. There has to be a way to set the default font from Calibri 11 to something else. Anyone know how?

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If you customize a Normal.dotm file and then include this template in the Office Word 2007 installation for a group of users, every new Office Word 2007 document opened by a user in that group will include the customizations.

Set the default font in Normal.dotm.

1.     Open Normal.dotm. (Typically, Normal.dotm is located in the %AppData%\Microsoft\Templates folder. By default, %AppData% is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\AppData).

2.     On the Quick Access Toolbar, on the Home tab, click the Font Dialog Box Launcher.

3.     On the Font tab, perform the following:

a.     Under Font, select Calibri.

b.     Under Size, select 11.

c.     When done, click Default.

4.     When the confirmation dialog box appears, click Yes.

5.     Close Normal.dotm.

6.     In Windows Explorer, right-click Normal.dotm, and then click Properties. (Typically, Normal.dotm is located in the %AppData%\Microsoft\Templates folder. By default, %AppData% is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\AppData).

7.     In the Normal Properties box, on the Details tab, click Remove Properties and Personal Information.

8.     On the Remove Properties box, click Remove the following properties from this file.

9.     Select the Authors, Last saved by, Revision number, and Version number options.

10.  Click OK, and then click OK again to close the Normal Properties box.

Use the Office Customization Tool to deploy Office Word 2007 with the customized Normal.dotm to a group of users

After you have customized the Normal.dotm file, you can add it to your Office Word 2007 installation source files and then use the Office Customization Tool (OCT) to deploy this customized version of Office Word 2007 to a group of users.

Deploy the new default settings to a group of users

1.     Open the Office Customization Tool (at a command prompt, type <Path to 2007 Office system installation folder>\setup.exe /admin, and then press ENTER).

2.     On the Select Product dialog box, select Create a new Setup customization file for the following product, or Open an existing Setup customization file if you want to add to an existing Setup customization file, and then click OK.

3.     In the console tree, click Add files, and then click Add.

4.     Select Normal.dotm, and then click Add. (Typically, Normal.dotm is located in the %AppData%\Microsoft\Templates folder. By default, %AppData% is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\AppData).

5.     In the File Destination Path dialog box, in the Destination path on the user's computer list, select %AppData\Microsoft\Templates, and then click OK.

6.     In the console tree, click Remove Files, and then click Add.

7.     In the File Path dialog box, under Path and file name of file to be deleted, enter %AppData%\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm, and then click OK. (This will remove any Normal.dotm file from the users’ computers that is from a previous installation of Word.)

8.     From the 2007 Office system installation point, run Setup.exe, and follow the prompts to install Office Word 2007.

• Note that If a user changes language settings for 2007 Microsoft Office system, Office Word 2007 creates a new Normal.dotm for that user (and renames the originally installed Normal.dotm), which causes the user to lose any customizations derived from their original Normal.dotm file.

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerMVP Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SoCalMike Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:43 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Thank you for your response Jennifer. However the result only changes the default font in Word, and in reality, once I make this change to the Office Customization Tool... I have to re-install Office on over 200 machines.

While I appreciate your effort, your response does not answer my question in that it does not address fonts in Outlook, Excel, or Powerpoint. It also requires a re-install of Office which is not possible for my user base.

I know there are administrative templates that can be used to customize Office in the GPO, but I cannot find any literature that describes how to do such. The only information I can find from MS is that they exist and a few tables linking CIW files to their respective Office programs.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

I find this article about your question, it may resolve this issue.

If it works, please put your feedback.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179176.aspx#Administrative_templates

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:46 AM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

I find this article about your question, it may resolve this issue.

If it works, please put your feedback.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179176.aspx#Administrative_templates

This did not answer the gentlemens question the first time you marked it as the answer and the same applies this time. Please explain how creating a office2010 ADM will resolve his issue for office 2007 default font?

Anthony
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:12 PM