Browser animation's lag in Windows 7. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using two browsers (IE11 & Chrome), animation's in both of them starting to lag after a while (tabs opening/closes in 2 frames, scrolling lag and any website layout becomes laggy). I can temporarily fix it by minimizing/maximizing them, but after few minutes lag occurs again.

I thought it might be a problem with browser's, but then I installed Opera & FireFox - they lag just as well.

What I found out is that lag only occurs when I am using AERO theme's, on classic themes its never happening. Also when lag occurs in browsers - taskbar animated previews starting to lag just as well (opening in 3-4 frames instead of smooth animation).

Laptop Conf: i7 2.4 Ghz 3630QM, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT650M SLI, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 + all updates.

What could be the cause?

EDIT: What I tried:

1) Clean install of browsers.

2) Video driver update.

3) Flash Player update.

4) BIOS update.

• Edited by BySomeday Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:10 PM
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:04 PM

Answers

• I probably solved it, NVIDIA power management is the cause. On Adaptive settings it throttles video card to 135 Mhz and apparently sometimes not boosting up clocks when it should and it causes animation lags. 

Weird thing is that I must set PM to PMP in every application, global setting doesnt seem to work.

And another thing here is that it consumes battery like crazy._.

Gonna contact NVIDIA support on that matter.

• Marked as answer by BySomeday Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:23 PM

All replies

• to isolate browser or add on issue, try to reset your browser

to isolate 3rd party software issue, try to do clean boot

what happen if you play video or open many explorer?

• Edited by britishdhez Monday, September 15, 2014 3:50 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 3:50 AM
  • are there a lot of third party software or services running on the background? Have you checked task manager, whether the memory or cpu goes high when doing the animation?

The animation you're talking about, is it being access on some websites? Internet bandwidth is good?

Or you're developing some animation and you're doing the testing?

or check out link below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a013396d-8953-4e32-8d13-f2d119cd730d/aero-animation-lag?forum=w7itproperf

Fixed from above link: (according to one of the poster)

Windows 7 Aero Lag fix for PCs with Nvidia Graphic cards!

1. Install latest Nvidia graphics driver downloaded from official website.
    2. During install select "perform clean install" option.
    3. After all the reboots open Nvidia control panel.
    4. Go to Advanced 3D settings and find power options.
    5. Change it from Adaptive to Maximum performance
    6. Go to individual program list in advanced 3D settings menu (The tab on the right)
    7. Add Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe at system32 folder) and Explorer.exe (at windows folder) there.
    8. Set their power mode from optimized to Maximum performance. Also change power mode of Windows sidebar to Maximum performance too.
    9. Reboot!

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Monday, September 15, 2014 5:46 AM
  • I tried to do a clean install of browsers, that didnt help.

I'll try to do a clean boot, thanks for suggestion.

Video is not lagging during browser lag.

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:23 PM
  • Actually there're a lot of 3'rd party services but those are mainly NVIDIA & Intel ones, installed with drivers. Some google update services and bluetooth drivers.

CPU and memory usage are non-issue here, they're sitting at 3-5% CPU and 40-50% memory usage during those lags.

No, the animation lag have nothing to do with bandwidth, any site loading in a second.

Thank you for link suggestion although I think its a different case. I dont have any problems with windows animations aside from web browsers. And I did clean video driver installation in the first place and power options are set everywhere on maximum performance.

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:34 PM
  • if after you do clean boot or selective startup everything looks normal, the issue maybe comes from the 3rd party installation software, I suggest try to investigate from security software (antivirus, firewall ect) or if you have software related to graphic performance like graphic software, theme ect

Make sure physical HDD in good condition 

• Edited by britishdhez Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:43 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:43 AM
  • check out link below, it will scan your system and will check if updates are needed for your card:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

it will ask for java installation if you don't have the latest java installed.

and as britishdhez suggests, do a clean boot and check whether you will have some issues.

If it works fine, the it could be some third party tools causing the issue.

Do you have a lot of add-ons on your web browsers?

try downloading firefox, don't install any add-ons check if issues persist.

:)

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hm, nothing seems to help, even installed fresh Windows 7 - browsers still lagging.

I am clueless right now.
    Sunday, September 21, 2014 7:12 PM
  • this is quite unique issue

after you do fresh installation that's means you already isolate OS, browser or even 3rd party driver and software installation issue, I can only suspected license or incompatible HW

Its hard to tell, but sorry, do you have Windows 7 original license?

this is need extra effort, try to installed another OS like Windows 8 to isolate Hardware problems

try to consult with graphic manufactured or your laptop manufactured  

• Edited by britishdhez Monday, September 22, 2014 2:18 AM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Yeah, I basically did a totally clean install from my 2010 copy of W7U (yes, it is license) on another physical disk (not just partition). No drivers installed, only IE and Chrome browsers & updated video drivers via WU to be able to use aero themes. It still happens.

I bought Win8 Pro this summer, and I dont remember this happening on Win8. I think I will try and install it again just in case, to troubleshoot this.

And I dont think its GPU, because any game running just fine and I ran a few tests in 3dmark11 - no lags or artifacts.

EDIT: Found a guy on the web he claims to have the exact same bug - browser's animation lag, fixes for a while after minimizing. To note here is that he has AMD GPU and not NVIDIA, also he states it was a problem ever since he bought his PC.
    • Edited by BySomeday Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:03 AM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Used any 3rd-party aero themes?

If so, remove them.

Another thought is that you may need to change some Windows experience settings.

Also check your network driver, taht may also cause lag issue.

Rgds

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:35 AM
  • I probably solved it, NVIDIA power management is the cause. On Adaptive settings it throttles video card to 135 Mhz and apparently sometimes not boosting up clocks when it should and it causes animation lags. 

Weird thing is that I must set PM to PMP in every application, global setting doesnt seem to work.

And another thing here is that it consumes battery like crazy._.

Gonna contact NVIDIA support on that matter.

• Marked as answer by BySomeday Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear we have the issue solved and thank your for your kindly sharing and update.

If any further questions, welcome to post in TechNet forum.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:45 AM