none
DPM agent communication error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a DPM 2007 server which protects a file server. The DPM server says Agent not reachable. The detailed error is:

The protection agent operation on xxx.corporateroot.net failed because the service did not respond. (ID 316 Details: Internal error code: 0x8099090E)

The error message while creating recovery point for all drives :

DPM failed to communicate with the protection agent on xxx.corporateroot.net because the agent is not responding. (ID 43 Details: Internal error code: 0x8099090E)

I tried to ping the DPM server from the file server, it wouldn't ping the FQDN of the DPM server but it would ping the DPM server IP address. I added an entry in hosts file and FQDN was also pingable, but still I get the same error.

I checked the file server and found two errors occuring almost simultaneously 83 and 1053 :

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DPMRA
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 83
    Date:  4-6-2012
    Time:  13:04:08
    User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: xxx
    Description:
    A DPM agent failed to communicate with the DPM service on dpm.corporateroot.net because the host is unreachable. Make sure that dpm.corporateroot.net is online and remotely accessible from the computer running the DPM agent. If a firewall is enabled on dpm.corporateroot.net, make sure that it is not blocking requests from the computer running the DPM agent (Error code: 0x800706ba, full name: dpm.corporateroot.net).

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1053
    Date:  4-6-2012
    Time:  13:14:27
    User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: xxx
    Description:
    Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

The firewall is not blocking any communication from both sides. Restarting the agent also did not help.

Please help.

Thanks

Pavit

Monday, June 4, 2012 11:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Community,

Someone had changed the DC's IP address for this file server location. Hence the error 1053 I suppose, which led to communication error. Changing the DNS entry in file server fixed the issue.

Thanks

Pavit

• Marked as answer by Pavit Bhutani Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:14 PM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 7:58 AM