Changes to UAC with updates? RRS feed

• Question

• I run all my machines as a non-admin, and have generally been pleased with UAC behavior in Windows 7.  I manage a number of different administrative tasks accross several domains under several accounts.  Before this change, I could run MMC's with my user credentials without authenticating, and for any MMCs or applications that needed different credentials (like local or domain admin), I would simply set the "run as administrator" flag in the shortcut (or rt-click -> run as administrator).  The authentication window that would pop open (with the dimmed desktop) had empty username and password fields allowing me to go about my job.

Now, there has been a change (for the worse) and I'm assuming it was from the July security patches.  Now, every UAC prompt regardless of whether I use "run as administrator" or not has only a blank password field under my current credentials and the "use another account" button which I then have to click and enter credentials.  That wouldn't seem like such a big deal except that what's the point of having a "run as administrator" option if it assumes I'm an administrator?   Even more annoying is that every MMC console I try to open whether my user credentials has rights or not pops up UAC.  This means I have to type my long complex password again and again for the account I am currently logged in with regardless of the danger (or lack thereof - remember I'm not an administrator).

Can anybody help me out with what changed and how I can get it back to the way it worked before?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:13 PM

All replies

• Do you have those CAPI Errors in your Event log?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

You may try to perform a System Restore to troubleshoot the issue.

You may also refer to the following link to modify the User Account Control settings.

User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Arthur,

Sorry to not have responded.  I've been too swamped to do a System Restore, test, repatch (automatic via WSUS) and test. 

I can say that I wasn't completely correct in my description.  If I choose anything on the computer (like in the System Control Panel) that has the UAC shield, the prompt is blank and does not have my credentials.  Odd.

My goal is to get it done today or tomorrow.

Monday, July 26, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation?

If the issue persists, you may also create a new user account to test the issue. If the new account works normally, the original user profile can be damaged.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while since my previous suggestions was posted and I'm writing to find out if you have had an opportunity to test my suggestions yet. If you need my further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Friday, July 30, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to touch base and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this thread. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Monday, August 2, 2010 1:50 AM
  • I am simply too swamped to test a restore with my workstation.  In setting up a virtual machine for another purpose though, I notice that the MMC I created there also requires me to authenticate as myself even though I'm already logged in (as a non-admin).  The VM is in a different domain with very limited GPOs (neither domain has any UAC GP settings though) not tweaked at all and is solely for the purpose of running the MMC. 

In the VM, I tried lowering the UAC setting, but there is some odd behavior for non-admins.  Lowering the slider one step (to "67%") is allowed with admin creds.  Attempting to lower it more than one step dims the OK button and indicates that you have to be logged in as an administrator - not just authenticate with admin creds.  If I log in as admin and lower it to the 2nd step (to "33%" or "dont notify me when I make changes"), reboot, and log in as non-admin, the setting sits at "67%", but if I log in as admin, it is where I put it at "33%".  If I l log in as admin, drop it to "0%" and reboot, the non-admin sees that it is also at "0%".

The only UAC setting that allows the non-admin account to run saved management consoles (for Group Policy in this case) without re-authenticating is "0%".  All the others require re-authentication  This must be tied to one of the July patches, as before those were applied, I did not have to re-authenticate for my currently logged on user.  I've never changed UAC from default ("100%") until I did this testing.

Can anyone else verify this behavior?  Does anyone else out there actually run as non-administrator locally but have to use an Management Console (even for just monitoring - not necessarily with rights to change anything)?

Thanks

Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:36 PM