MDT 2012 - Surface Pro 2 - Task Sequence Suddenly Failing at Format and Partition Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Please help!!

We've had Surface Pro's within our environment for the past 2 years. We have a mixture of Surface Pro 2 and 3 and have a standard task sequence in MDT 2012 that deploys a standard Windows 8.1 OS. We have made no modifications to the Task Sequence, OS OR Drivers.

At first we believed it may be HardDrive related, but now we have 3x Surface Pro 2's that all fails at the same stage. These Surface Pro 2's where initially imaged using the same task sequence and was successful, however this was several months ago.

We are re-imaging these devices for re-deployment and fails at Format and Partition Disk portion of the task sequence.

It stays at the stage:

Running Action: Format and Partition Disk / Preparing Disk 0 Partitions ... for approx. 2 mins

Then returns error:

ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIDiskpart: Object required (424)

Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005

I've also attached the image of our Task Sequence for reference

We have Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 Update 1

and Microsoft Deployment Workbench Version 6.2.5019.0

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:54 PM

Answers

• If you press F8 and see that the disk is gone! then this is a driver issue *NOT* a MDT issue. There is nothing MDT can do if the disk is not longer visible from MDT.

First thing I would do is to ensure that the machines are up to date with the latest firmware versions. Additionally, I would also try setting up a new MDT server with the latest WIndows ADK version, that would ensure you are running with the latest drivers.

-k

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:24 AM

All replies

• To add, I was able to successfully install Windows 8.1 manually using external CD Rom/Bootable Windows 8.1 ISO fine. Which I would assume would eliminate a HardDrive Failure.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Also, another addition to thread...

When the Surface Pro is at the WinPE prompt, if I hit F8 for command prompt and enter DiskPart... it will display my disk.

However after the Task Sequence fails, if I re-enter DiskPart, it will no longer show the disk if I "List Disk"

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Have you tried the surface accelerator?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:53 PM
  • No, wasn't aware this even existed! Thanks Ty!!

We will look, however at this point we would like to continue with our current environment and not make any changes.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:10 PM
  • https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt621179.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Ty, we will look into this...

But for now, what puzzles us is we made no changes to our Task Sequences or Deployment Shares and was working up until a few weeks ago.

Now we cannot re-image any Surface Pro 2's , but we can Surface Pro 3's using the same task sequence.

Once my account is verified, I will post some screenshots.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:34 PM
  • Post a link to logs (even if you can't make the link clickable yet).  A Screenshot is likely to not give enough information to solve this.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:04 PM
  • Monday, April 25, 2016 4:53 PM
  • Monday, April 25, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Again, we have made no changes in MDT, or Deployment Shares in the past few months. And this is only happening with Surface Pro 2 and not Surface Pro 3 using same task sequence
    Monday, April 25, 2016 4:55 PM
  • Try a different surface 2. The drive might be failing.

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:13 PM
  • Thanks Ty for quick response.

We are 3 for 3 on the exact same issue... and I was able to install Windows 8.1 Ent. using external CD/ Bootable ISO. Would think this would eliminate the HDD being the issue?

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:35 PM
  • If you press F8 and see that the disk is gone! then this is a driver issue *NOT* a MDT issue. There is nothing MDT can do if the disk is not longer visible from MDT.

First thing I would do is to ensure that the machines are up to date with the latest firmware versions. Additionally, I would also try setting up a new MDT server with the latest WIndows ADK version, that would ensure you are running with the latest drivers.

-k

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:24 AM
  • Thanks Keith, in fact it did end up being what we believe a Driver issue within our Boot Image.

I regenerated a new Boot Image with only Surface Pro Ethernet Adapter Drivers and worked. There must've been a driver conflict within our Boot Image as it contained several NIC & Mass Storage Device Drivers for different model of Laptops.

Issue Resolved!

Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:36 PM