none
All Favorites are gone RRS feed

• Question

• About every month or two, IE spontaneously deletes all my favorites without my interaction.  I sign off at night, but when I boot up in the morning, everything is gone.  It's a real pain to reconstruct the 100 or so favorites in a dozen folders every time I turn around.  What's up? 
    Friday, March 17, 2017 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi JoshAdamsCenterville,

Are there any error messages recorded in Event View(Windows Logs\Application, Applications and Services Logs)?
    Which version of Internet Explorer you are using now?

If you are not using the latest Internet Explorer, please update it to the latest version.

Please check if favorites are existed in C:\Users\Useraccount\Favorites.
    If yes, try to reset Internet Explorer from Internet Options\Advanced\Reset\tick “Delete personal settings”\Reset
    We may consider to login your device with another account and observe the symptom.

If the favorites are not listed there, we could audit the folder and find the culprit. (right click “Favorites”\Properties\Security\Advanced\Auditing\Continue\Add\Tick “delete” property)

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:50 AM
  •  to reconstruct the 100 or so favorites in a dozen folders

Do you have it in File History?  Provided you look soon enough it may be there.  I had this happen on my Surface RT but I didn't look soon enough so File History (uselessly) ended up perpetuating the empty folder.  However, I had previously been able to bring it back relatively painlessly.  I speculated that they were either showcasing File History or trying to save storage on my RT's tiny drive.  The default save frequency seems to be ridiculously high, so it is easy to miss it before something you really wanted gets cycled out its backup range.  My question is: if they do this to save storage, why not turn off the version saving once there is nothing there?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:37 AM
    Answerer