none
Duplicate Tape Libraries listed in DPM PowerShell RRS feed

• Question

• When I run the get-dpmlibrary command on our DPM 2010 server I get 3 libraries listed when I only have once connected.  2 show as offline. 

The DPM GUI shows only one library and I have checked the protection groups in the GUI and none are using either of the offline libraries and I have also added devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and shown hidden devices in device manager and no other tape libraries are shown by device manager. 

I have rescanned from the GUI, refreshed, rebooted and still no change.  I use PowerShell scripts to perform functions on the library and having the duplicates is the reason my scripts fail I think because the fisrt library listed is an offline one.  Plus I don't see why they are listed anyways. 

I also tried remove-dpmlibrary -dpmserver -"ServerName" but that command doesn't seem to exist.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

OK - Just dicovered that you cannot rename Stand-Alone tape drives from the DPM GUI - you must use power shell commands.

EXAMPLE FOR A SINGLE STAND-ALONE DRIVE

$DPMLIB = Get-DPMlibrary -dpmserver  <dpm_server_name>
    Rename-DPMLibrary -Dpmlibrary $DPMLIB -Newname "Tape0"

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

DPM does not remove any libraries from it's configuration when it's offline because it could come back online at a later time. Once a library is detected by DPM, it's properties will remain in the SQL database and you will see them listed in power shell commands.  To differentate which library is the active (online) library, you can simply rename the library friendly name in the DPM GUI, and then modify your scripts to use the new renamed library name. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:00 PM
  • I would rename the library if I could but the option is grayed out.  How do I get it so it isn't grayed out?  Do I have to remove the library from the protection groups before I can rename it? 

Is there no way to remove the offline entries at all?  The offline libraries showing offline are for the same library as we have been having hardware issues with the library and it seems changing cables, drivers, and the drive itself made DPM create these.  They won't ever be coming back online.

Monday, November 22, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hi Dan,

If the library is currently showing as being (offline) - then it canot be renamed until it is back online.  Once online, just highlight the library:library name - then right-click and the rename option should not be greyed out.

There is no supported way to remove old library entries from the SQL DB, you will need to work around the power shell issue once you rename the library.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:16 AM
  • I am trying to rename the tape library that is online and it is grayed out.  Is it maybe because it is a standalone drive and not an actual library?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:35 PM
  • I uninstalled DPM and re-installed.  Duplicate libraries are gone, but still unable to rename the library even after a new install.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

OK - Just dicovered that you cannot rename Stand-Alone tape drives from the DPM GUI - you must use power shell commands.

EXAMPLE FOR A SINGLE STAND-ALONE DRIVE

$DPMLIB = Get-DPMlibrary -dpmserver  <dpm_server_name>
    Rename-DPMLibrary -Dpmlibrary $DPMLIB -Newname "Tape0"

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:08 AM
  • hi all,

I see this thread has been inactive for a while, but I'm having a similar problem with DPM 2010. I have 2 libraries, one is offline and one online. the tape device was replaced by HP, and the offline DPM library will not come online again because the tape drive was replaced. It seems excessive to have to reinstall DPM just to simply remove the duplicate library which shows as offline. Is there any way to differentiate within the dpm powershell between the two libraries? I also cannot rename the library becuase it lists two libraries.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

Once you change all the protection groups to use the 2nd (new) library, the offline library will disappear from the DPM GUI.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:19 PM