none
Can I use local admin when recovering from a domain controller? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have 1 domain controller in my setup and I want to recover it using DPM 2007 but if I do that after the DPM destroy the current version and will replace the backup file, it will not be able to authenticate my account, by the way, the account I am using to access DPM is a domain admin, so since there is no DC then i will not be able to authenticate my account and thus it will not be able to recover DC then also the DC will be gone since it was destoyed. My question is that can I recover my DC using a local admin so that it will be able to authenticate itself? If yes how can I do that or where do I specify that? Thanks
    Friday, November 12, 2010 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You should be able to logon to the DPM server using cached Domain credentials, then restore systemstate for the DC to a local drive on the DPM server.  Once the systemstate is restored locally, share out the folder that was been restored (give everyone read)and you should be able to access it from the rebuild machine that will be the new DC.  Once you restore the systemstate on the re-build DC, your entire network should be operational once again.

If for any reason, you cannot logon using cached credentials, logon locally using local admin account, then from an administrative command prompt, run:  Dpmbackup

That will make a shadow copy of all your replica volumes and you can access the last systemstate backup for the DC under the c:\program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\volumes\shadowcopy\protected_server_fqdn folder. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:45 PM