Query result list sort order in the Service Manager Portal (2012). RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a setup a user prompt for a request offering in which the values are based on a query results list.  When the user prompt is displayed in the portal the order of the items presented based on my query results list is in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A) instead of traditional A to Z.  I can clicked the column header to toggle the sort order, however having to do this is slightly annoying.

My query results list is based on returning the Department field of a specific criteria of template AD user accounts (which are imported into the CMDB via the AD Connector).

Where and how is the sort order defined?

Thanks

Bryan

Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Bryan,

After a quick test I can see the query results is in a descending order based on the first display column of the query results configuration. In the Request offering wizard I don't see an option for sorting. I don't think it is possible to configure this out of the box. 

But maybe it is possible from a Self Service Portal rendering point of view. Maybe there is a key for it in the settings.xml just like the maximum of query results:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/11/08/advanced-query-results-customization-for-request-offerings.aspx

If this is possible I'm also curious to know how! :)

- Dennis

Saturday, May 5, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Hi Dennis,

I would expect something like this to be configurable and controllable in the RO setup, and not a "global" setting.

It's good to know someone else has observed this quirk also.

Thanks

Bryan

Sunday, May 6, 2012 8:33 PM
  • @Bryan,

Sorry sort order is hard coded to descending by default and since its not a global setting it cannot be customized via settings.xml as well.

Thanks

Paresh

Thanks, Paresh

• Proposed as answer by KnutMagne Friday, March 21, 2014 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:50 PM
    Answerer
  • @Paresh,

Thanks for letting me know, is that by design or perhaps overlooked?  Do you know if this will be addressed in the future?

Thanks

Bryan

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:50 AM
  • I second that question.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 6:02 PM
  • I also would like to know if it's by design or not, and whether we'll be given the option to configure this on the settings.xml file in the near future.

Thanks!

German

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi, it seems it didn't change with SCSM 2012 SP1. I'm facing a customer right now and having a hard time trying to customize the portal for some complex offers. Not being able to set a default for the order is silly (and ascending would make much more logical and easy to explain).

It is the same for the number of instances shown per picker, that you have to edit the XML (when it could be a parameter in the "Configure Prompt"). This portal needs a lot of improvement.

J

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Has someone figured it out, or is this sort order (A-Z) still impossible?

Regards

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:21 AM