Difficulty Importing .csv table into outlook calendar RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running into an issue with importing data into excel since our company updated to office 2016. Previously I could import excel spreadsheets directly into my outlook calendar. With a little mapping it would populate the table in excel as events in my calendar.

My problem arose because Outlook 2016 now only allows for the import of .csv files. I've attempted to convert my tables to .csv, but the files no longer populate as calendar events when I import them. I'm not sure where the disconnect is between importing the .csv and it correctly populating. I've included a sample table below of what I used to import to populate my calendar.

Start Date Start Time End Time Subject Location Description
    23-Jul 6:00 AM 4:00 PM West Lobby Reg Hospitality Desk, Group 1
    23-Jul 6:30 AM 7:00 PM Conference Rom A Office Office, Group 1
    23-Jul 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Conference Rom B Office Office, Group 2
    24-Jul 7:00 AM 7:00 PM Conference Rom C U for 30 Board Meeting Group 2

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Aguynamedtim,

Generally, to create a .csv file which can be imported into Outlook properly, it is recommended to export some data into .csv file first as the sample file.

In your scenario, you may try to export some entries in the calendar via Import and Export Wizard > Export to a file > Next > Comma Separated Values, select the calendar you want to export from, choose a location to save the sample file, map custom fields if necessary, click Finish.

Then you can use the template above to input new data and import to Outlook.

I tested with the steps mentioned above and it can work as expected:

The .csv file I used to import: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCU_Opwmf6jgh1bD_WlSP6Cosyu

Hope you can find this helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Aguynamedtim,

Generally, to create a .csv file which can be imported into Outlook properly, it is recommended to export some data into .csv file first as the sample file.

In your scenario, you may try to export some entries in the calendar via Import and Export Wizard > Export to a file > Next > Comma Separated Values, select the calendar you want to export from, choose a location to save the sample file, map custom fields if necessary, click Finish.

Then you can use the template above to input new data and import to Outlook.

I tested with the steps mentioned above and it can work as expected:

The .csv file I used to import: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCU_Opwmf6jgh1bD_WlSP6Cosyu

Hope you can find this helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:13 AM
  • I"m really struggling with this calendar import from csv file process despite having done it countless times over the years (I've been training for 29 years and I'm an MCT).

I've downloaded your test file and populated it with my own data in the appropriate columns. I've ensured that the data is properly structured and formatted and saved as a CSV file. But absolutely nothing has worked. Even though your sample file worked just fine.

I'm baffled. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Joyelle Jolie Instructor SparQ Corporate Training

Monday, October 1, 2018 10:50 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same problem. Thanks!
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:40 AM