"Send to" idea... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just had an idea - an idea that would really simplify working with Windows 7 libraries (Documents, Video, Images). I think that when you do a right click on a JPG and select "Send to" than one of the proposed places should be images folder in the library. Analogously for a AVI it should display "Videos" in the send to menu.
    Or perhaps there should always be only one item - "Library", and Windows would automatically place a file in an appropriate folder... but I think this would be less intuitive than the first option, and probably more complicated to develop.

Do you like my idea?
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hey here's something even cooler!  You don't have to customize your Send To really much at all.  They already did.  Check it out:

While holding down shift, right-click an icon and point to Send-To.  The menu explodes with options if you hold down shift!  Neat!

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 7:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:11 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:36 AM

All replies

• You can create these SendTo locations yourself!

Click the Windows Orb (Start), type shell:sendto and press Enter. Right-click on an empty part of the window then New > Shortcut and Browse to your new location.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I certainly love that idea, so much I wish it was that way by default.  I just set myself up some shortcuts in my SendTo folder :-)

I'd love it more if the SendTo feature moved the file instead of copying it.

Friday, January 8, 2010 1:59 AM
  • I'd love it more if the SendTo feature moved the file instead of copying it.
    Not sure how to do this by default, but you can Shift+Click to move the file.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Shawn B. Keene

You could add ‘Copy To Folder’ and ‘Move To Folder’ to Explorer’s right-click menu by adding two registry keys, as follows:

1. Click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. Right-click > New > Key and name it Copy To (note the space). In the right pane, right-click on Default > Modify and in the Value data field enter the following string {C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} and click OK.

2. In the left pane, right-click ContextMenuHandlers > New > Key and name it Move To (note the space). In the right pane, right-click on Default > Modify and in the Value data field enter the following string {C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} and click OK.

Friday, January 8, 2010 8:22 AM
  • I agree it is a great idea. J

As mentioned in the previous posts, the right click context menu can be customized by editing the registry key. Please refer to this article which has several examples in it: Customize the Right Click Menu in Windows 7.

For more information, please refer to: Creating Context Menu Handlers

Regards,

Linda

Friday, January 8, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Hey here's something even cooler!  You don't have to customize your Send To really much at all.  They already did.  Check it out:

While holding down shift, right-click an icon and point to Send-To.  The menu explodes with options if you hold down shift!  Neat!

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 7:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:11 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:36 AM
  • OK, thank you all!
    I understand I can add custom items to the send to menu, but that's not what I meant.

I wanted the library to manage the contents I want to store inside for me. So perhaps something a bit similar to the famous WinFS, but much more simpler. So that not only when you do a "Send to" but also drag&drop to the library or do any "move" or "copy" - windows could automaticaly put jpgs, pngs, gifs to the pictures library; avis, mgps, wmvs to the videos library and so on. So that the library would act a bit like a CMS.

I don't think this is hard to code, since even xp had something very similar - the autoplay function, which suggested do download all the photos right to you pictures folder in My documents when you connected a camera to your pc. It would be neat if users could define they own rules for "auto storing". But you have this in windos as well - you can specify in the properties of the folder that if contains pictures, videos or music.

Does anyone agree with me?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:58 PM