Backing up SCR target RRS feed

• Question

• Question: Hi

We are running Exchange 2007 SP2/Windows 2008:

Node1/Node2 running a CMS in SCC Active/Passive.
    We also have Node3 which is in a different AD site and is the SCR target for the CMS's Storage Groups.

We backup the Active node using Netbackup.
    But we also backup Node3 C: drive and System State.

Is there any need to backup Node3?
    Secondly, if we did lose Node3, is there a Recover/Restore option in Exchange that would automatically set it up as it was?
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:01 PM

Answers

• As I stated in my original response yesterday, you would run Setup.com with the /Mode:RecoverServer switch and then you would reseed (Update-StorageGroupCopy).

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Ed CrowleyMVP Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, April 25, 2011 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:27 PM

All replies

• No.  You would rebuild the server using the RecoverServer option, which builds it back the way it was built before, and then you'd reseed the databases.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:34 AM
  • So we don't really need to backup the SCR target then? What advantage do we get of backing this server up?
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:43 PM
  • You mean to say SCR?
    Gulab | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2010 | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2007 | MCC 2011 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:53 PM
  • I'm wondering whether we need to backup the SCR target server? Is there any need to it?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:37 PM
  • No, you don't have to backup SCR, no need of it.
    Gulab | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2010 | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2007 | MCC 2011 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:12 PM
  • No.  None.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:53 PM
  • You do not need to take backup of SCR node as same data is getting replicated through the same log shipping and replay technology used by local continuous replication (LCR) and cluster continuous replication (CCR) to provide added deployment options and configurations.

Exchange Transaction Logs also gets truncated after successful backup completion on SCC. So don't need to worry about log truncation too.

Tarun Verma

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Tarun Verma Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:52 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Sure, but I was thinking in terms of if we lost the server.

Can we use the recover/m switch to use the info in AD to recover it? I'm not sure if this is valid for SCR targets?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:01 PM
  • As I stated in my original response yesterday, you would run Setup.com with the /Mode:RecoverServer switch and then you would reseed (Update-StorageGroupCopy).

• Proposed as answer by Ed CrowleyMVP Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, April 25, 2011 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:27 PM