none
Resource was deleted from PWA bc he left the company, unassigned task appeared on our dashboard after the removal RRS feed

• Question

• X resource completed his task in Feb 2018.  In October, he left the company, I removed him from PWA later we found out that his task back in Feb 2018 appeared as if task assigned to nobody.  I suspect it because I deleted him from PWA since he is no longer with our company.

I can't add him back to the resource because we use AD group and synced with PWA.

How can I bring x resource back such my dashboard doesn't show "unassigned task"  it affected our go live dashboard, is there a way to do this?

NLuu

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 11:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you could create a new resource without account and assign task to this resource. Does that work?

For the future: Don't delete any resource with actual work, just set to "inactive" after leaving.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, November 22, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

How do I do that?  I went to resource.aspx then add new but it doesn't seem that user show up in the manage user.  Please advise.  I need to add user back without using AD group.

It was just an oversight, I wasn't aware that resource has actual work.  He has already completed 100%.

Regards,

NLuu

Monday, November 26, 2018 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

there is no need for a resource to be a users, if there is no access required. Moreover, you don't have a AD user for this resource. Just assign this new resource to the "unassigned" tasks.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:38 AM
  • Barbara,

I'm not following what you were saying.  I would like to bring this resource back to PWA but I can't find a way to do it.  My company uses AD group, this resource already completed his task in Feb but we need his name there for historical purpose at the end of the year.  His name was gone from AD group and deleted from PWA for that reason our data shows "x" task completed 100% by "generic resource" there is no name on there.

How could I assign the task back to him without being able to add him back to the PWA.  I can't add to be a resource no matter how I tried.  At the moment it shows him without a name "generic resource" but the task is completed generic resource users.  My goal is to put his name back to the PWA so the "x" person shows the name of the employee who left the company was the one who completed that task.

Does this make sense?  Where in the PWA I can add such name back.

Regards,

NLuu

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:04 PM
  • Can you just assign the task to someone else?  

If dashboard is showing tasks that are unassigned, then simply assign some to task or deleted the task.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:41 AM
  • Michael, assigning task to someone else isn't an option for us.  We keep everything even the person leaves the company.  Those tasks have been completed since February.  I went to resources.aspx and add that person back in.  I will test tomorrow to see if the DBA can retrieve this adhoc resource adding.  

Thanks,

NLuu

Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:43 AM
  • Hi,

sorry, I missed "... resource.aspx then add new but it doesn't seem that user show up  …"

You will not find any user, because it was deleted. Just enter the name and any other required fields. This will create a resource, but no user. A resource does not need to be a user, to be assigned to a task.

Hopefully I was more clear this time?

Barbara

Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:09 AM
  • Barbara,  we have over 100 plans and this resource resides in many plans.  I have added resource back to resource.aspx and our DBA decided to not use him as the GUID is different than the previous.  It's easier to create another table to battle unassigned tasks; however, this discussion we had open another angle that I didn't know before.  Thanks for your response.

This is what I learn: 

1) Resources and Users referred to 2 different group to other, I used mine interchangeably and it may confuse others.

2) there is a way to add resources outside AD Group.

Cheers,

Nitaya

Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

On the PWA, there are two places that I can view resources list.  1) Manage users   2) Resources.aspx (resources.aspx).  What are the difference between the two and whether they are the same.  This is what I understood.

1) if active = paid licenses users (or enterprise resources)

2) local resources

All schedulers will see only 1 since it's global enterprise resource pool and no one will see 2 because it's local resources. Thanks.

Cheers,

NLuu

Monday, December 3, 2018 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

users are people who are allowed to access the system. They do not need to be a resource necessarily. E.g. some management people have access to look what happens, but they should not be assigned to tasks at all. Every user needs a licence if he or she is active.

Resources are resources, you can assign to tasks. They do not need access to the system in all cases. E.g. cost or material resources will never be users, the same is true for generic resources. Moreover, you can have resources without access to the system, as I suggested for your deleted resources.

You can create users at "Manage Users" and resources in Resource Center. When creating a user you have a checkbox at the top of the page, if the user should also be a resource to be assigned to tasks. When creating a resource, you have a checkbox at the top to define, if this resource will also be a user.

These resource are NOT local, they are in the Enterprise Resource Pool. So everyone can see and assign them, when permissions allow this.

Local resources are just the resources a PM adds to his project by just entering a name, not available in Enterprise Resource Pool.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, December 3, 2018 8:28 PM