none
Fall Creators Update BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have installed the Fall Creators Update on my notebook a few days back. (My notebook is ASUS ROG Strix GL553VE.) After the installation, everything looked good, the update ran well, no problems occured. That was until I tried running a game. It told me that there are some issues with graphics driver. I have heard that the update had some issues with drivers, so I wasn't really surprised and simply updated the drivers manually. After the reboot (which was neccesarry for the drivers to finish installing) I logged into my notebook as usual, but then it all went wrong. I couldn't do anything except for moving the mouse arround. Trying to run any program resulted in the program not responding, even Task Manager threw Not Responding message. After about two minutes of nothing, the system went into BSOD with error message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. After rebooting, the procedure has repeated. I couldn't do anything on Windows and it crashed after a while. I used a program BlueScreenView in safe mode, which told me that there is a program ntoskrnl.exe causing the problems. I was trying to fix it by myself using the internet, but nothing I found has worked. I even tried to do a clean reinstall of Windows, causing me to lose all of my settings and preferences, but after I installed the drivers, it has started all over again. What more, I use dual boot with Linux being my secondary OS, and by reinstalling Win, I'm affraid I have lost access to the Linux part, too. So, can anybody help me fix my Windows, and, is there a way for me to get into Linux again, or am I going to have to reinstall Linux too, after I fix Win? 

• Edited by TheNoggie Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:28 AM

Answers

• No it isn't caused by Nvidia, i had the same problem... Driver_Power_state_Failure .. i checked dump files with debugger, WhoCrashed and problem was ntoskrnl.exe..... Now after i updated bios to version 304 everything is working gr8 .. 
    • Marked as answer by TheNoggie Friday, November 24, 2017 10:59 PM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, blue screen issue is related to driver and software conflict, please recall carefully what you have done before BSOD firstly occurred, try roll back previous operations to see if can fix problem.

If it’s hard to roll back, I suggest to execute a clean boot at first, then update driver form the manufacturer website, also, keep system is up to date, check for updates in update & security settings.

Finally, system will generate the dump files when BSOD occurred, it can help us diagnose problem, Microsoft has a useful tool called WinDbg can analyze these dump files, kindly check the following link for assistance.

Debugging Tools for Windows (WinDbg, KD, CDB, NTSD)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551063(v=vs.85).aspx

In addition, you can also refer to this article and see if it helps.

How To Fix DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE Blue Screen Errors (0x0000009F)

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/blue-screen-errors/microsoft-corporation/windows-operating-system/bug-check-0x9f-driver-power-state-failure/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Hello,

I have installed the Fall Creators Update on my notebook a few days back. (My notebook is ASUS ROG Strix GL553VE.) After the installation, everything looked good, the update ran well, no problems occured. That was until I tried running a game. It told me that there are some issues with graphics driver. I have heard that the update had some issues with drivers, so I wasn't really surprised and simply updated the drivers manually. After the reboot (which was neccesarry for the drivers to finish installing) I logged into my notebook as usual, but then it all went wrong. I couldn't do anything except for moving the mouse arround. Trying to run any program resulted in the program not responding, even Task Manager threw Not Responding message. After about two minutes of nothing, the system went into BSOD with error message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. After rebooting, the procedure has repeated. I couldn't do anything on Windows and it crashed after a while. I used a program BlueScreenView in safe mode, which told me that there is a program ntoskrnl.exe causing the problems. I was trying to fix it by myself using the internet, but nothing I found has worked. I even tried to do a clean reinstall of Windows, causing me to lose all of my settings and preferences, but after I installed the drivers, it has started all over again. What more, I use dual boot with Linux being my secondary OS, and by reinstalling Win, I'm affraid I have lost access to the Linux part, too. So, can anybody help me fix my Windows, and, is there a way for me to get into Linux again, or am I going to have to reinstall Linux too, after I fix Win? 

I have exactly same laptop GL553VE and same problem, after installing Creators update i had lots of BSOD and cant get it to work properly, tried every tip i have found on net...

Creators update ruined everything, i couldn't even roll back to previous version, and even when i tried factory reset, i lost all my files and only thing that stayed was Creators update and this BSOD BS..

• Edited by Ohlund2 Thursday, November 23, 2017 8:08 PM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 8:06 PM
  • As I said, I have reinstalled Windows completely, wiping out all data and everything. After installation, I installed drivers from the manufacturer (I installed all recommended drivers, mainly for graphics card) The problem started all over again. The dump file was analysed by BlueScreenView, saying there is a program "ntoskrnl.exe" causing the problem. All this information is already in my original post, why are you telling me to do what I have already done?
    Friday, November 24, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Wow , i tried factory reset one last time and something unexpected happened... My laptop went into UEFI(bios) and automaticly update bios version from 300 to 304, i didnt pressed anything and i didnt even downloaded the newer version of bios, newest version on manufacturer site was 303 anyway... So my bios updated, then factory reset continued and Windows installed succesfully...  So far everything looks Great, fingers crossed... 
    Friday, November 24, 2017 7:06 PM
  • No it isn't caused by Nvidia, i had the same problem... Driver_Power_state_Failure .. i checked dump files with debugger, WhoCrashed and problem was ntoskrnl.exe..... Now after i updated bios to version 304 everything is working gr8 .. 
    • Marked as answer by TheNoggie Friday, November 24, 2017 10:59 PM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 9:51 PM
  • Bro I freaking LOVE you. Update to BIOS version 304 has worked like a charm. Don't know how or why, but it has. I don't even want to know how, really. I was already digging a grave for myself and my laptop. 
    Friday, November 24, 2017 11:01 PM
  • Hey @TheNoggie after updating your bios to version 304 have you experienced any BSoD lately? regarding DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE?

Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:19 PM
  • I have the same issue. The BSOD Description is DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe

In my ASUS ROG GL553VE with Windows 10 1709 OS Build 16299.98 and BIOS 304, this issue still happen in my laptop.

I don't know what should i do.

I have re-install NVIDIA Driver to the latest version with perform clean install and Update CPU Intel driver but the issue BSOD still happen.

The BSOD always occured to me when i drag a image to the Adobe Photoshop. Please the other user who have same laptop and same specification with me can try open image in Adobe Photoshop, let's try, BSOD happen to you or not?

Thanks.

• Edited by wellyers Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:55 PM Revision
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 1:41 PM
  • I thought after updating BIOS 304 everything would be fine but alas all of us having the same laptop experience this problem. Running my games and it randomly freezes my laptop and then task manager also freezes out and immediately goes into BSoD
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:47 PM
  • I think my issued has been solved.

I used tips in: https://forum.unity.com/threads/crash-unity-with-windows-10-fall-creators-update-1709-and-nvidia-issue.505749/

UPDATE: * HOW I SOLVED MY ISSUE*

Well I contacted Nvidia Customer Support and they helped me fix the issue i had.
    I recomend you to do the same, the engineers are very easy to talk to and they respond quickly.
    Link to the Nvidia Support: http://www.nvidia.com/object/support.html (Open chat at the bottom of the page)

Steps i had to do while folowing Nvidia Customer Support:

> Clean install of the latest driver directly from the nvidia site *This didnt fix the issue.*
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us (not from Geforce Experience)

When Installing:
    *Check Al boxes
    *Check Clean Install

> They asked to reinstall the app with the issue (Unity 3D) *This didnt fix the issue.*

> The last thing was to go to:
    Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings Tab > Choose the program to customize (or find the exe if not in the list)

Set this options:
    * Ambient Occlussion - OFF
    * Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance
    * Threaded Optimization - ON
    * Triple Buffering - OFF
    * Vertical Sync - OFF

Then hit apply. *This solved my issue*

I dont know wich option solved the issue as i was having a BSOD and i didnt want to try one by one. But the Representative told me its usually the Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance)

Hope this help somebody with a similar situation.

i followed the instructions, my laptop never bsod again when editing the photo in photoshop.

I think the bug between 1709 and NVIDIA have little bug, it's that caused the BSOD.

Hopefully other user can solved the problem.

*Thanks to Asty in Unity forum.

• Edited by wellyers Monday, December 4, 2017 4:07 AM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 4:04 AM