check if IPV6 is turned on RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the following error reported to me through SCOM:

"Alert: DNS registrations of essential Domain controller records is failing
    Source: <our AD controller>
    Path: <our AD controller>.<our domain>
    Last modified by: System
    Last modified time: 1/9/2012 8:41:02 AM
    Alert description: The dynamic registration of the DNS record 'gc._msdcs.stholdco.com. 600 IN AAAA 2002:8ea4:35a::8ea4:35a' failed on the following DNS server:

DNS server IP address: <our DNS server IP>
    Returned Response Code (RCODE): 5

Returned Status Code: 9017

For computers and users to locate this domain controller, this record must be
    registered in DNS."

We run DNS on Solaris servers, not AD servers.  I have contacted our DNS guy, and he says everything is working fine.  He says that this dynamic registration is for a IPV6 address (which it is).  However, we are not a IPV6 network as of yet.  I checked on the DC that is reporting the error, and IPV6 is not turned on in adapter settings.  Is there someplace else I can check for this?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Jadepuppy:

It looks like you don't have a SCOM issue, it seems SCOM is accurately reporting a DNS issue (or an IPV6 issue!). Those issues would need to be posted to the Windows Server forums as appropriate.

However I want to share that I understand it's not sufficient to just disable the IPV6 binding in adapter settings, you need to do more. Consult this link to fully disable IPV6 on a computer and that might stop this SCOM alert:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852
    How to disable IP version 6 (IPv6) or its specific components

John Joyner
    MVP-OpsMgr

• Proposed as answer by Tero Ilenius Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, January 16, 2012 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:32 PM