none
Alignment gets disturbed while editing a wiki article RRS feed

Answers

• You have stumbled onto a bug in the Wiki platform. You have introduced line breaks between the entries in the Wiki, or perhaps there was one line break between entries when you started. I can view the History, but I cannot view the HTML of old versions, so it is hard to tell. In any case, there is a bug in the Wiki platform. In some browsers, including yours, whenever the article is saved, the line break tags in the HTML (<br> tags) are doubled. This messes up the spacing, as you found. This is a bug we hope gets fixed when the Wiki migrates to a new platform.

One fix would be to convert the list, which must be now separated by line breaks (the <br> tag in HTML), into an unordered list. But I see you were attempting to add several entries at the beginning. I don't know how to add entries to the beginning of such a list. But leaving the article as it is, with two line break tags between each entry (or even just one), will create problems the next time anyone makes any edit to the article. I'm thinking the best solution is to convert the list to an unordered list in the HTML. Then, when you press the "Enter" key after any entry, instead of inserting a <br> tag in the HTML, you will create a new item in the unordered list (an ordered list would be numbered, which is not wanted here). I will convert the existing list into an unordered list. Then you can add your entries. If the order is important, maybe you can figure out how to add at the beginning. Otherwise, I can attempt to fix the article in the HTML later when you finish.

Edit: I finished converting the list in the Wiki into an unordered list. If you press Enter at the end of any entry in this list, you create a new entry (with a dot at the beginning). If you cannot figure out how to add an entry in the very beginning, I can add a blank entry, so you can keep inserting after that. Or, you can try your hand in the HTML editor and do it yourself. The HTML for a blank entry would be:

<li></li>

inserted anywhere between the <ul> and </ul> tags (indicating an unordered list in HTML).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:32 PM

All replies

• You have stumbled onto a bug in the Wiki platform. You have introduced line breaks between the entries in the Wiki, or perhaps there was one line break between entries when you started. I can view the History, but I cannot view the HTML of old versions, so it is hard to tell. In any case, there is a bug in the Wiki platform. In some browsers, including yours, whenever the article is saved, the line break tags in the HTML (<br> tags) are doubled. This messes up the spacing, as you found. This is a bug we hope gets fixed when the Wiki migrates to a new platform.

One fix would be to convert the list, which must be now separated by line breaks (the <br> tag in HTML), into an unordered list. But I see you were attempting to add several entries at the beginning. I don't know how to add entries to the beginning of such a list. But leaving the article as it is, with two line break tags between each entry (or even just one), will create problems the next time anyone makes any edit to the article. I'm thinking the best solution is to convert the list to an unordered list in the HTML. Then, when you press the "Enter" key after any entry, instead of inserting a <br> tag in the HTML, you will create a new item in the unordered list (an ordered list would be numbered, which is not wanted here). I will convert the existing list into an unordered list. Then you can add your entries. If the order is important, maybe you can figure out how to add at the beginning. Otherwise, I can attempt to fix the article in the HTML later when you finish.

Edit: I finished converting the list in the Wiki into an unordered list. If you press Enter at the end of any entry in this list, you create a new entry (with a dot at the beginning). If you cannot figure out how to add an entry in the very beginning, I can add a blank entry, so you can keep inserting after that. Or, you can try your hand in the HTML editor and do it yourself. The HTML for a blank entry would be:

<li></li>

inserted anywhere between the <ul> and </ul> tags (indicating an unordered list in HTML).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:32 PM
  • Thank you very much for your quick response. Indeed it helped me. It would be helpful if you create a blank entry at the beginning so that next time if some one edits the wiki page it wont get messed up like before.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:43 AM