Shutdown issues with my Dell Inspiron 3520 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, recently I tried to shut my windows 8 Dell Inspiron down and if was to no avail.

After I clicked shutdown, the spinning icon appeared along with the words "shutting down." I saw this as normal and got up to leave, but then my lock screen came up again. I tried to shut it down from the password entering screen, but it did the same thing; it said "shutting down," and it just brought me back to my lock screen which means it started right back up again. The only way I can shut it down is to press the power button, but I don't like the fact that something is wrong with any aspects of my laptop.

Please write back soon.

• Changed type Mobi Martin Friday, November 29, 2013 10:00 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 9:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, November 29, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

Please try steps in this article to shut down the computer:

Fix Windows 8 Restart and Shutdown Problems by Disabling “Hybrid Shutdown” Feature

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-restart-and-shutdown-problems-by-disabling-hybrid-shutdown-feature/

If the issue persists, please make a xperf trace to see the cause. Install the WPT (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4847.install-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt-en-us.aspx), open a CMD prompt with admin rights and type this:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d Noshutdown.etl

Note after you captured 30s of the high CPU usage issues, go back to CMD prompt and press a key to stop the logging. Now compress the Noshutdown.etl as zip. Upload this file to your SkyDrive or Dropbox and post a link here.

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 2, 2013 12:20 PM