Searching LOB data in SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I am stuck into a search issue while configuring SharePoint 2010 search with BCS.
    I have created several external content types from Stored procedures in custom SQL database using SharePoint Designer.
    I have also created profile pages for all the ECTs and I am able to crawl all the profile pages. But there is a problem; I have created an ECT which reads all the order details based on customer ID, so the input parameter in the ECT is the customer ID.
    Now the profile page will have only one parameter Customer ID in the query string and it is showing only one order corresponding to the customer ID since the profile page shws a unique row for a particular ID.
    So, my problem is- How can I crawl all the Order details for a customer ID using profile page? or do we have any other way around to implement the same? We are using basic search in sharepoint 2010
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hey Senthil,

First of all, thanks for your prompt response. However, I have already done whatever these articles are saying.

Let me rewrite the scenario again- We have an order management system which has several customers; each customer may have thousands of orders. My external content type takes customer ID as input parameter and shows all the order for that customer. Since we have customer ID as input, the profile page takes customer ID as query string but shows only one order and its details. Profile page can only show one record at a time.

Since we are passing customer ID in querystring, we can not change it and hence the profile page will show only one order detail for that customer.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Regards,

Deewaker

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:36 AM
  • Sorry for late but I finally understood where was the mistake. The customerID we were passing was same for all the orders (all the records LOB returned), so the profile page URL will be same for all the records and since the profile page have business data item webpart, it can show only one record.

To overcome the problem, better to design external content type in a way which can contruct unique URL for every record (different querystring parameter value for each URL). Thereafter, if we crawl the LOB content, it will crawl all rows.

Moreover, external lists can't be searched like normal lists. it has few limitations. To overcome this, we are now using a third party component BDLC (business data list connector) instead of BCS service. through BDLC, we can pull the LOB data into a sharepoint list and the list behaves simply like normal list and can be searched in a same as a normal custom list unlike to BCS driven list.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 11:50 AM