How to add incremental Items RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have MDT 2013 installed & configured in prod, we are currently using it for the deployment of our prod machines using an USB drive. The USB holds the media file which is created using MDT & then the deployment is done globally. We upload the media to One drive & then our technicians download it. Our problem is, suppose we have build V1 & then we updated the build to V2 in this case currently our technician have to download the entire build which we don't want.

What we are trying to do is the technician only download the changes & then merge the changes with previous build.

Can we achieve this with MDT 2013. Experts please suggest.

Thanks,

Pranay.

Friday, November 14, 2014 7:00 AM

All replies

• Set up more deployment shares and use replication between the shares:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn744292.aspx#sec01

Friday, November 14, 2014 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

The link is great but how will it be helpful in my scenario.

if we create DFS share on multiple location, still entire contents will be copied to those share over internet & how the technicians will merge the contents of older & newer build version.

There is one more thing the most of the technicians work from there home & it won't be feasible to deploy a DFS server individually for them.

Thanks,

Pranay.

Friday, November 14, 2014 10:17 AM
  • It depends what is chancing, but yes it's possible. Eg. If you change some settings in task sequence you can copy your task sequence file ( \Control\%TaskSequenceID%\ts.xml to those offline medias replacing the old ts.xml file. No need to rebuild contents of whole media.
    • Edited by kniem Monday, November 17, 2014 3:53 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

I figured out a way or a workaround, don't know if it's the best way to this but it completes my requirements.

What i tried to do was create a V1(Vanilla Win 7 build just the OS) of the TS & then distribute it to the technicians, All the technicians will be downloading this complete build which is around 3.47 GB in size.

From V2 of the TS they need to download only the incremental changes for this i have created a selection profile which contains OS, Application, Packages, Drivers & Task Sequence, i created a media using this selection profile. Then i deleted the OS image from the media created. So, now the media has just the updates. This media is then uploaded for technicians to download.

On the technician's side - There is a web service which we have created from where the technicians can download the media & merge them with V1. so, after merge the OS image gets added & hence the deployment goes smoothly.

The process goes like this for the new builds created.

This is just a workaround in this process which i tried, tested & deployed there can be better way of doing this. If somebody has one please update the thread.

Thanks,

Pranay.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:13 AM