none
Single SAN for 2 DPM 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I am designing a DPM 2007 deployment and want to know if I can hace 2 DPM servers, one primary and the other secondary pointed toward the same storage pool (SAN DISK) or if I need a separate storage device (disk or SAN, etc) in order to move my DPM backups offsite?

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 7:02 AM Moving to DPM Storage Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:53 PM

Answers

• Hi

You can have a single SAN, but each DPM server will require dedicated LUN's assigned to them so each DPM server has seperate dedicated disks to be added to the storage pool.

SAN ARRAY
      lun1 --------> DPM1
      lun2 -----^
      lun3 --------> DPM2
      lun4 -----^

DPM1 uses LUN1 and LUN2 in storage pool
    DPM2 uses LUN3 and LUN4 in storage pool

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi

You can have a single SAN, but each DPM server will require dedicated LUN's assigned to them so each DPM server has seperate dedicated disks to be added to the storage pool.

SAN ARRAY
      lun1 --------> DPM1
      lun2 -----^
      lun3 --------> DPM2
      lun4 -----^

DPM1 uses LUN1 and LUN2 in storage pool
    DPM2 uses LUN3 and LUN4 in storage pool

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:32 PM
  • thanks for the reply!!

Can I have a  DPM2 accesing the storage pool of DPM1 in case of DPM1 server failure?

Or I need a secondary pool in DPM2 in order to protect DPM1.

Just like this:

DPM1----LUN-----DPM2 (in case of failure

Thursday, July 8, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Each DPM server has it's own storage pool, there is no LUN sharing capability.

Assuming you are setting up secondary protection so DPM1 is primary and DPM2 is secondary at DR site, then if the primary fails, you can switch protection and DPM2 will continue protection of the protected servers.  If DPM1 comes back, you can switch protection back.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 3:42 PM