Windows Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our DC's from Window Server 2003 32bit Standard Edition to Windows Server 2008 64bit R2.As part of this plan first we freshly installed Window Server 2008 64bit R2 in one system.We planning to make this system as a ADC for that DC.For this we are trying to Extending the Schema in DC (Window Server 2003 32bit Standard Edition).

While extending the Schema we are getting the error like:  "The image file c:\adprep /adprep.exe is valid . but is for machine type other than the correct machine".

Please help me in this regard.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:21 AM

Answers

• Then my plan is to transfer FSMO roles to ADC.In this case is there any problem i am going to face?

The Infrastructure Master Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) roles should not pose any problems, if you make sure both Domain Controllers are Global Catalogs. For placement of the  Infrastructure Master FSMO role in multi-domain environments you need to either:

1. Make all Domain Controllers Global Catalog servers, or
    2. Place the Infrastructure Master FSMO role on a Domain Controller that is not a Global Catalog 

When your environment contains a Microsoft Exchange organization, reboot a Domain Controller after making it a Global Catalog.

After that i will format my main DC and install Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit then it's becoming ADC.

It's a best practice to run dcpromo.exe again on the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller to remove it as a Domain Controller. When you format it, without demoting it, it's computer account will remain lingering in Active Directory.

Before you demote your Domain Controller, ask yourself the following questions:

• Make a backup of the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller. Make sure you can restore it too.
    • Is the whole Directory replicated to the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller (run repadmin.exe)
    • Is the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller in good health (run eventvwr.exe and also review dcpromo.log)
    • Is the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller also a DNS server? Are my clients still referring to it? (convert the DNS Zones to Active Directory-integrated DNS Zones, install the DNS Server role on the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller and then change DNS settings on your clients)
    • Is the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller also a DHCP server? (backup the DHCP database and import it on the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller)
    • Is the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller hosting other roles (lIIS, WSUS, etc), then migrate these roles to the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller before demoting the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller.

After you demote and remove the server from the network wait at least a couple of (work) days. When problems arise with the removal of the server, your users may need a couple of days before they tell you). After that rebuild the server with Windows Server 2008 R2 and promote it as a Domain Controller. When you're done rebuilding the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller as a Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller, perform the following tasks:

• Check proper installation and replication (run repadmin.exe, eventvwr.exe and review the dcpromo.log and dcpromoui.log files)
    • Make both Domain Controllers DNS Servers. Configure both servers as DNS Servers on your clients.
    • Run the Active Directory best Practices Analyzer. Place the FSMO roles as indicated by the Analyzer
    • Raise the Domain Functional Level to Windows Server 2008 R2. Then raise the Forest Functional level to Windows Server 2008 R2.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:02 PM

All replies

• The adprep.exe command is a 64bit executable and will not run on a 32bit Windows installation.
    To extend the schema on a 32bit Domain Controller to Windows Server 2008 R2, use the adprep32.exe command.
    • Proposed as answer by Jens Ole Kragh Monday, February 1, 2010 2:12 PM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

Sander is correct, you need to run "adprep32.exe /forestprep" on the Windows Server 2003 32-bit which is your current DC.

For your reference, please refer to:

How to Upgrade Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee522994(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Sander is correct. 

Here is one more thing....

I recently went through the same issue and found that I had to run  adprep32.exe DIRECTLY  from the DVD disk and not from a copy/paste to a hard drive.

Worked perfectly.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Hi ,

I already extended the schema and it working fine now.Then i installed Windows Server 2008R2 64 bit in new system and make this as ADC for that DC and configured DNS in ADC.Then my plan is to transfer FSMO roles to ADC.In this case is there any problem i am going to face? If yes what kind of problems i am going to face.After that i will format my main DC and install Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit then it's becoming ADC.

Is it good plan or any advice you people going to give.

Please help me in this regard.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Then my plan is to transfer FSMO roles to ADC.In this case is there any problem i am going to face?

The Infrastructure Master Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) roles should not pose any problems, if you make sure both Domain Controllers are Global Catalogs. For placement of the  Infrastructure Master FSMO role in multi-domain environments you need to either:

1. Make all Domain Controllers Global Catalog servers, or
    2. Place the Infrastructure Master FSMO role on a Domain Controller that is not a Global Catalog 

When your environment contains a Microsoft Exchange organization, reboot a Domain Controller after making it a Global Catalog.

After that i will format my main DC and install Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit then it's becoming ADC.

It's a best practice to run dcpromo.exe again on the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller to remove it as a Domain Controller. When you format it, without demoting it, it's computer account will remain lingering in Active Directory.

Before you demote your Domain Controller, ask yourself the following questions:

• Make a backup of the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller. Make sure you can restore it too.
    • Is the whole Directory replicated to the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller (run repadmin.exe)
    • Is the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller in good health (run eventvwr.exe and also review dcpromo.log)
    • Is the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller also a DNS server? Are my clients still referring to it? (convert the DNS Zones to Active Directory-integrated DNS Zones, install the DNS Server role on the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller and then change DNS settings on your clients)
    • Is the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller also a DHCP server? (backup the DHCP database and import it on the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller)
    • Is the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller hosting other roles (lIIS, WSUS, etc), then migrate these roles to the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller before demoting the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller.

After you demote and remove the server from the network wait at least a couple of (work) days. When problems arise with the removal of the server, your users may need a couple of days before they tell you). After that rebuild the server with Windows Server 2008 R2 and promote it as a Domain Controller. When you're done rebuilding the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller as a Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller, perform the following tasks:

• Check proper installation and replication (run repadmin.exe, eventvwr.exe and review the dcpromo.log and dcpromoui.log files)
    • Make both Domain Controllers DNS Servers. Configure both servers as DNS Servers on your clients.
    • Run the Active Directory best Practices Analyzer. Place the FSMO roles as indicated by the Analyzer
    • Raise the Domain Functional Level to Windows Server 2008 R2. Then raise the Forest Functional level to Windows Server 2008 R2.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:02 PM