none
Changing Work on a Fixed Duration Task RRS feed

• Question

• When I change Work on a fixed duration task (MSP 2010), a little dialog pops up and says "You just decreased the work required to do this task.  Do you want to:  
    "decrease the task duration, so the work is done over a shorter period of time"

"decrease the hours resources work per day so the duration remains the same"

Yet after selecting the second option, no changes are made to assignment units (expected result).   Help appreciated.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:50 AM

Answers

• Open Resource Usage view, there you can see that the resource will be working less hours than his normal working hours on that task. Insert Peak Column and see his assignment units would have decreased from 100% to some other value. Assignments Unit % change won't be reflected in Gantt chart as it used to be in 2007.

Sapna Shukla

• Marked as answer by BayouB Friday, October 26, 2012 10:37 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:29 AM
  • I assume you have Project 2010? There has been a design change that confuses everyone at least some of the time ;-( When you assign a resource to a task, Units now only ever show original units. Given this is useless after the first assignment edit, we really need to see units calculated as remaining work / Remaining Duration.

Use Sapna's instructions to see peak units. I add VBA code to whenever I save a project, Units are forced to be calculated as above.

Their goal was to prevent large units showing if a user entered a lot of hours on one day in Project Server's time sheet system.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by BayouB Friday, October 26, 2012 10:38 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:36 PM

All replies

• Open Resource Usage view, there you can see that the resource will be working less hours than his normal working hours on that task. Insert Peak Column and see his assignment units would have decreased from 100% to some other value. Assignments Unit % change won't be reflected in Gantt chart as it used to be in 2007.

Sapna Shukla

• Marked as answer by BayouB Friday, October 26, 2012 10:37 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:29 AM
  • I assume you have Project 2010? There has been a design change that confuses everyone at least some of the time ;-( When you assign a resource to a task, Units now only ever show original units. Given this is useless after the first assignment edit, we really need to see units calculated as remaining work / Remaining Duration.

Use Sapna's instructions to see peak units. I add VBA code to whenever I save a project, Units are forced to be calculated as above.

Their goal was to prevent large units showing if a user entered a lot of hours on one day in Project Server's time sheet system.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by BayouB Friday, October 26, 2012 10:38 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Thanks for the explanation!   I don't get the rationale for this change in the product however.

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:40 AM