none
When FSMO is transferred we lose some drive mappings via GPO when old server is shutdown.

Question

• I have been searching the web and can not seem to find an answer to my issue. Maybe I'm not searching well enough..?

I'm a nervous Nelly when it comes to these things so I haven't demoted anything yet unless I know that everything will work fine, that's why I shut it down. We have 2 servers DC1 (sbs2011) and DC2 (Server 2008 R2) and multiple clients receiving GPO.
    We have transferred FSMO from DC1 to DC2 but when DC1 is shutdown then we loose 2 of our mapped drives via GPO.
    When running dcdiag, everything seems to be pointing to DC2, even within GP Management. 

s: \\DC2\shared
    u: \\DC2\users\%username%
    t: \\DC2\things

When DC1 is off then we loose u: and t:

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in Advance!

• Edited by RC_Sigma Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:55 PM misspell
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:54 PM

Answers

• Never mind... Figured it out using this post...

http://www.cb-net.co.uk/microsoft-articles/windows-2008/windows-server-a-simple-dfs-migration-plan/

• Marked as answer by RC_Sigma Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:32 PM

All replies

• Did you adjust your DNS servers to make DC2 the primary DNS?

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:06 PM
  • ._ldap.pdc._msdcs.Domain.com shows DC2

I believe that is what your talking about.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:36 PM
  • Okay, now I feel kind of stupid... It has nothing to do with GPO or FSMO but DFS. It seems that when DC1 is off DFS doesn't work at all even though DC2 is setup as a Namespace Server as well. Is there a way to move that role?
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:23 PM
  • Never mind... Figured it out using this post...

http://www.cb-net.co.uk/microsoft-articles/windows-2008/windows-server-a-simple-dfs-migration-plan/

• Marked as answer by RC_Sigma Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:32 PM
  • Hi,
    Great share and update, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:12 AM