C:\windows = 20GB+ used space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running 64bit Windows Vista Ultimate, and noticed on my C: drive, i'm using a lot of space. I noticed my C:\windows folder is using 21GB of space

looking into it further, I see that these 2 folders are using the most space. C:\windows\winsxs is using about 14GB of space. Why is that? Is there a way to correct this?

thx
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:41 PM

Answers

•  

If you installed SP1 (as opposed to it being preinstalled), try this:

There is a ‘run-once’ program in SP1 that will immediately clean up all the components that were replaced in the Winsxs folder when SP1 was installed. NOTE that once you run the program you will no longer be able to remove SP1 should any problems occur, so make absolutely certain your computer is behaving itself before running it.

Firstly, check the size of the folder by right-clicking it, choose Properties and make a note of its size and the number of files and folders. To run the program, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32, look for the file VSP1CLN.EXE (the capitals are for clarity only), right-click it, select Run As Administrator then reply Y to the prompt. Now check its size again. You will be pleasantly surprised by how much disk space you have reclaimed.

Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:05 PM