Integrate external website into SharePoint by passing logged in user information within url RRS feed

• Question

• I am a newbie to share point and trying to integrate my website into SharePoint. I need to integrate it in such a way that I receive logged in user information (user name/email) as parameters with url

Example URL: http://mysite.com/abc.do?username={SHAREPOINT_USERNAME}&email={SHAREPOINT_USEREMAIL}

From whatever I have learn so far, there are two ways of doing this:

1. Creating a custom Web Part
    2. Using ECMAScript

I would prefer to go with 2) approach as it is client side scripting and does not require any dependency. The way I have achieved this requirement is by using Content Editor Web Part with following settings:

1. Content Link is set to void();
    2. HTML Source to include an iframe and ECMA script to fetch user information. Script execution then set iframe src with desired URL(having user info as parameter)

I want to validate whether there is any better way of doing this and Is there any issue with this approach?

• Edited by anagpal Monday, November 5, 2012 10:00 AM typo
    Monday, November 5, 2012 9:59 AM

All replies

• hi anagpal,

Can you explain little bit clear about your Req.

Like: After integration your site into sharepoint .Like as you mentioned the URL: http://mysite.com/abc.do?username={SHAREPOINT_USERNAME}&email={SHAREPOINT_USEREMAIL}

what you want to acheive with "UserName" and "email".?

Thanks & Regards, Krishna

Monday, November 5, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Hi Krishna,

Using user email I want to recognize whether user has a login/account on mysite and if yes, will show his personalized page according to his preferences and settings. That means different users can configure their page differently and can have their personalized experience. This can only be achieved if I receive user information along with page request to mysite.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks,

-anagpal

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:08 AM
  • hi anagpal,

As you mentioned "personalized page according to his preferences and settings" you mean are you using any sharepoint 2010 My site.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Hi Krishna,

I am integrating an external website with SharePoint.

-anagpal

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:36 AM
  • hi anagpal,

If you are trying to integrate .Net external website with sharepoint.Below are the ways:

1.Configure your ASP.NET web application to use Windows Integrated authentication, just like SharePoint. Furthermore, configure group policies so that the URL where your ASP.NET application is hosted is considered part of the Local Intranet. This will make IE pass the user's credentials to IIS by using Kerberos.

2.Alternatively, you can configure the ASP.NET application to use Claims, by setting up an STS (ADFS v2). Then configure the STS to use Windows Authentication.

• Proposed as answer by krishna_2012 Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Monday, December 31, 2012 11:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Hi Krishna,

This sounds exactly what I am looking for, but the difference is I am integrating with jsp/java website. Are there similar ways to achieve the above functionality for those websites?

Thanks,

-anagpal

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:18 AM
  • I never tried with  jsp/java .I will let you update if i done any such.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Krishna, thanks much for looking into the issue. Hope to hear from you on this.

-anagpal

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:33 AM