Video stutter - DPC / ISR RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am having a stuttering of frames in games.  It may also happen slightly with video such as YouTube but it isn't nearly as noticeable.  My main concern is with games.

I made a short xperf log with a game running, compressed it, and put it on OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1zttmq6

From what I can tell, it looks like CPU 0 is getting hammered by usbport.sys function usbport_xdpc_worker.  Searching online for information on this wasn't very helpful.  I did find one short blog post mentioning a Windows hotfix for this that was also included in a later Windows Update: KB2529073.  I was hoping I wouldn't have this update installed already for some reason, but I do.

Here is my PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz @ 4.2GHz
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB
    PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W
    Windows 7 x64
    Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard and a CM Storm Xornet mouse, both USB.

I also have a Sentey usb headset and a Blue Snowball usb microphone.  I've uninstalled and unplugged both of these with no change.  I tried uninstalling the keyboard and switching to an old PS/2 one with no luck either.  The motherboard only has one PS/2 port though.  I could try booting with no keyboard and just a PS/2 mouse (if I still have one somewhere).  Or am I on the wrong track here?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Saturday, April 18, 2015 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the Windows Performance Log, I don't think it is CPU problem. Its status seems works fine, however, we can't find any more clue according to the log.

According to your description, it's most probably caused by Graphic Driver problem. You can try reinstall Graphic Driver for test to fix this problem.

On the other hand, you can try to check Event Viewer if it identify this problem.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 20, 2015 3:52 PM
  • TF

Elitedangerous is driving a single CPU core to 100%.  If you want us to investigate further you need to configure windows performance recorder differently

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, April 20, 2015 5:09 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Roger,  I have used Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to cleanly remove the AMD drivers and installed the latest beta drivers with the same problem.

ZigZag, I am not sure what to make of what you are saying.  I have run the program normally, and I have tried changing the process priority as well as the core affinity.  LatencyMon showed the majority of DPC/ISR activity on Core 0, so I set Elite Dangerous to only use cores 1-3 without any improvement.  

I have made a new log following the wiki instructions.  I did include Networking I/O as Elite Dangerous does communicate with their servers even in 'solo' mode, which is where I do my testing.  The stuttering graphics did occur during this log.

http://1drv.ms/1DEtwPq

With this method of logging it also generated a folder of .PDB files.  I'm not sure if this is needed in addition to the .ETL file so I did not include it.  If you need it as well, let me know and I will compress it and upload it right away.

Thank you.

Monday, April 20, 2015 5:52 PM