none
Tape backup failed looking for a drive on DPMSERVER that has never existed RRS feed

• Question

• My "System States" tape backup job failed this weekend.

Looking at the alert for the failed job, the description is: The backup to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID 3311)

Detail error shows the following:

PROTECTED MEMBER:  mailserver.domain.com

Error Details: DPM Encountered an error while performing an operation for D:\WindowsImageBackup on DPMSERVEr.domain.com (ID 2033 Details: The system cannot find the path specified (0x80070003)

The way the error reads, it sounds like it's saying it can't find the path D:\WindowsImageBackup on the DPMSERVER -- Am I misunderstanding this?  The DPM Server doesn't have a D drive, and other than the DVD drive that was connected to it at one point, it never has.  Why would this be causing an error now?

Or, is it actually looking for this folder on the D drive of the mail server?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If this a short term Disk to Tape backup of systemstate on mailserver.domain.com, then DPM is complaining that it cannot find the D:\WindowsImagebackup folder on the mailserver.domain.com machine.   If this is long term Disk-Disk-Tape backup, then something appears to be wrong with the replica volume on the DPM server, in which case, D-D backups probably have a problem as well.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:59 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If this a short term Disk to Tape backup of systemstate on mailserver.domain.com, then DPM is complaining that it cannot find the D:\WindowsImagebackup folder on the mailserver.domain.com machine.   If this is long term Disk-Disk-Tape backup, then something appears to be wrong with the replica volume on the DPM server, in which case, D-D backups probably have a problem as well.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:59 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Iv been having the exact same problem, only difference is that the path is in the E: drive. An E: drive has never existed on the DPM server or the exchange server its trying to back up. I'm not really sure what I need to do because I am not sure why it is suddenly looking for this folder or even what it is looking for there. It looks like it has no problem performing a short term disk recovery point, its only failing the long term tape backups. Also the C: drive on the exchange server was successfully backed up but the "system state" and "bare metal recovery" are what keep failing.

Not sure if anyone got some new information on this problem but I would be very grateful to anyone who can shed some light on the subject.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

DPM is looking for the system state backup file in this location. Since the E:  drive doesn't exist on the Exchange Server DPM cannot complete a system state or BMR backup of the server. You will need to modify the PSDataSourceConfig.xml file to give it the correct path to the system state backup file

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809015.aspx

To Change the Location of the Backup File

The backup file of system state is created at %systemdrive%\DPM_SYSTEM_STATE.

To change the location of the system state backup file

1. On the protected computer, open PSDatasourceConfig.xml in an XML or text editor. PSDatasourceConfig.xml is typically located at install path\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources.

2. Change the <FilesToProtect> value from %systemdrive% to the desired location.

3. Save the file.

4. On the DPM server, if there is a protection group protecting the system state of the protected computer in step 1, run a consistency check.

5. The consistency check will fail and generate an alert. Perform the recommended actions in the alert as follows:

1. In the alert details, click the Modify protection group link, and then step through the wizard.

2. Perform a consistency check.

Thanks,

Marc

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:48 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Ok I can change the location of where it looks for the system state but now I have a new problem that I dont know where the system state is saved or if there even is one. On our other servers I easily found it in the default location but there isnt even a DPM_SYSTEM_STATE folder on this server, that may have to do something with this server running windows 2008 and all out other are 2003.

I ran the consistency check and everything but I'm guessing I will need to make it create a new system state file. So how do I go about doing that?

Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:35 PM